Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible with circuit or chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyhp2

Hi,

Is it possible to have a circuit to produce DC volts in steps (ex: 0.8, 1.6, 2.4, 3.2) with varying delays from 4.5 DC source in certain frequency? I'd like to do a lot of experiments but I don't know which voltage step, delay between the step, and the frequency which would work for the desired effect. In short, I'm doing a lot of trial and error.

How complex is the circuit? Can it be done with a programmable chip/circuit so can I feed the parameters while watching the experiment?

Thank you,
Tommy

Yes. The chip you need is called a DAC, for Digital to Analog Converter. You connect it to a microcontroller and write a program to tell it what voltage you want and when to change to another voltage.

DACs have different 'bits' of resolution. A 10 bit DAC would split your reference voltage into 1024 (2^10) steps.

How much current do you need? A DAC will give you an accurate voltage but negligible current.

Mike.

For a few steps like that, an R-2R ladder could work OK.

It could eg. be used to control the reference voltage to an LM317 and reduce the minimum output with a series diode or two.
And feed the ladder from say a four bit counter with an adjustable clock, for varied step rates?

Hello,

you can use directly a microcontroller that includes a DAC. By using timer, you can adjust frequency and duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back