Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Portable remote wireless monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rag4jc

I am a generator operator in the motion picture industry and would like to build a handheld wireless remote monitor. So I would have the ability to monitor my generators voltage, frequency, and amp output of 3 legs. We normally run the genneys in 3-phase and need to keep the load balanced across the three legs. I would need to take an anolog signal from the amp probe donut and voltage reading and frequency readings and then transmitt a signal to a handheld remote to detect these readings. Any ideas?????

How much range would you need? How many generators to monitor? Will you need all the readings on the screen and updating in real-time, for all generators? Sounds like a perfect 'final project', for some college student, about to ask for suggestions on a final project, due next Friday... :)

Think it could be done, but well above my experiences. Probably something like WIFI internet would be simplest, but you would need to do a lot of programming.

Generator Monitor

Each Genny should have its own remote unless it is easy to monitor multiple gennys with one device then max monitor would be two gennys per monitor. The generators are normaly 1500 amp generators in 3-phase so the range for amps would be 0 to 500amps per leg. Voltage range 0 to 250volts. Frequency
range 50 to 65 Hz. Updating of Amp readings should be in realtime for balance purposes. Volt and Hz are a plus and not of highest priority. One screen could switch between readings but unless cost prohibitive the 5 screen readings being seperate would be greatly benifical.

Last edited:
There are some commercially available "wireless single phase power monitors" available, maybe clip one on each Leg?

These power monitors are for the consumer, to encourage reducing energy use. It have a clippy-thing that goes on the wire, and a wireless remote unit that reads kW, that you carry round the house. You could maybe tape the 3 together. It'd be a bummer if all 3 worked on same frequency though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back