Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Portabl Radio Transceivers, 2 way radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

oidar

Here a silly question requiring a sensible knowledgeable answer. Is it possible to purchase a handheld/portable 2 way radio sets/ transcievers in England that will transmitt to a range of 1 mile, or more for little to no operational cost, in an inner city environment (birmingham)????. If so, what model/ equipment would you recommend to do this. Any idea's/ suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I would say almost certainly not - you would require professional devices, and to be granted a licence to use them (which isn't easy, nor cheap). Even then, an inner city isn't likely to give 100% coverage.

By FAR the most effective and cheapest way is to use mobile phones.

We changed from transceivers to phones years back in our vans, they work far, far, better - and at a fraction of the cost (and that's only the yearly licence costs!).

I recently bought some two-way radios from Argos on offer at £40 for four with an advertised range of 6 miles. I tested them at 3/4 mile in a town, one end in a house, the other in a car. Much further and there was no reception.
I know this is not a reccomendation to match your requirements, but more an indication of what is available at the cheaper end of the market.

Thanx; Ive considered mobiles, but their draw back is you only can talk to one person. Im wondering if their was anything else where you could talk on an open channel, to more than just one person, upto a mile, in a built up area. I guess there is nothing like that in the uk anyway :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back