Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pop when unpluging the input jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

the cracken

i can't remember how to stop the pop!! maybe a really small cap??? the hiss is taken out with a resistor to ground but when it pops the small valve amp that i made really really doesn't like it and stops working for a bit then slowly comes back! any ideas??? i can post a circuit diagram if needed!

Yes, please, more details. I've designed tube amps with no "pops". My first idea, with no schematic to work with, is that you need a resistor internal to the valve amp that will set the input DC to the level it will seek when you unplug. If this sounds like gibberish, it's because I need a schematic to work with.

here it is. o and i forgot its a valve distortion pedal :) that uses 2x jan 6418 raytheon miniature tubes **broken link removed**

OK. The way I see it, you need a resistor from the input jack to ground so the input side of the capacitor can not develop a charge.

The source of a pop is always about a sudden change of voltage. I don't know where the charge is coming from, could be as simple as the first capacitor being a bit leaky or the previous device providing a charge, but unplugging allows a sudden discharge as the plug brushes against the shell of the jack...or, you might be using a switching jack that auto-grounds the input when you unplug. If the first cap is grounded through a high resistance, there is nothing to discharge when you unplug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back