Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Polyester Capacitor 33nf - 300v - Pitch 23mm .

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike47

Is there another type of Cap I can use instead of this one , difficult to get that value / type and pitch ?.

Cheers

Spike

Attachments

• IMG-0943.JPG
    IMG-0943.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
That is an AC rated capacitor. You could use a higher voltage rating capacitor, or possibly one that is a bit more in capacitance value, possibly 39 or 47nF.
Based on your picture, there is no visible evidence that cap is bad. What makes you thing that it is?

That is an AC rated capacitor. You could use a higher voltage rating capacitor, or possibly one that is a bit more in capacitance value, possibly 39 or 47nF.
Based on your picture, there is no visible evidence that cap is bad. What makes you thing that it is?
Hi
Thanks for your reply, it is off a Sony PS11 Turntable, the platter would not self start , just give it a nudge and it will run ok , so I thought it might be a Cap problem , so I took out the 3 large Caps n the board, 2x Electrolyte and 1x Polyester !( as in the picture posted) the 2xElectrolyte tested ok, but the 1x Polyester did not !,( tested the same as a Electrolyte Cap ! ).

Cheers
Spike

Attachments

• IMG-0937.JPG
    IMG-0937.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • ve_sony_ps-11_service_en.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
How are you testing them?, and what do you mean by 'it tested the same as an electrolytic'?.

Certainly I wouldn't suspect that capacitor of causing a problem - but it's a fairly 'complicated' circuit (for a record player) as it's an early brush-less DC motor.

Assuming it's C12? (you didn't say) then it's in a very low voltage part of the circuit.

How are you testing them?, and what do you mean by 'it tested the same as an electrolytic'?.

Certainly I wouldn't suspect that capacitor of causing a problem - but it's a fairly 'complicated' circuit (for a record player) as it's an early brush-less DC motor.

Assuming it's C12? (you didn't say) then it's in a very low voltage part of the circuit.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I mean I done the same test on the Polyester Cap as I did on the Electrolyte one's ! ., not sure what you mean is it a C12 !.

cheers
Spike

Have tested the caps with a Multimeter , charged the Caps on diode test, then checked voltage straight after ! .

Spike

how long do you expect a 33nF capacitor to hold charge when connected to a 10Meg resistor? it will discharge in 100ms, so no surprise you don´t see the result you expect. You should test it with a meter that can measure capacitance and also ESR if possbile.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I mean I done the same test on the Polyester Cap as I did on the Electrolyte one's ! ., not sure what you mean is it a C12 !.

The reference in the circuit (C12).

But what test?, and why are you concerned it tested the same?.

Edit: Just read your later post, so you haven't actually tested them at all.

The reference in the circuit (C12).

But what test?, and why are you concerned it tested the same?.
how long do you expect a 33nF capacitor to hold charge when connected to a 10Meg resistor? it will discharge in 100ms, so no surprise you don´t see the result you expect. You should test it with a meter that can measure capacitance and also ESR if possbile.

hi
Thanks for your reply, not sure what you mean " Connected to a 10Meg resistor " .

Spike

Ok Guy's
I am getting a little confused here ( easily done !) .
Can I test the Polyester Cap using a Amprobe AM 500 Multimeter , if so how do I do that test , other than the way I have said I done it ! .

cheers
Spike

Thanks for your reply, not sure what you mean " Connected to a 10Meg resistor " .
Bascially all multimeter have internal load resistance of 10Meg ohms, so when you connect your meter to enything you load the voltage you are measuring with that resistance. And in case of that tiny capacitance it discharges so quickly that you can´t even see the result.

Bascially all multimeter have internal load resistance of 10Meg ohms, so when you connect your meter to enything you load the voltage you are measuring with that resistance. And in case of that tiny capacitance it discharges so quickly that you can´t even see the result.

Ah, ok understand now , so it looks like I am going to have to purchase another meter to test that ! , I don't suppose there is another way to test without me having to buy another meter is there ? .

cheers

Spike

Ok Guy's
I am getting a little confused here ( easily done !) .
Can I test the Polyester Cap using a Amprobe AM 500 Multimeter , if so how do I do that test , other than the way I have said I done it ! .

cheers
Spike

You can't really test capacitors with a multimeter - but you don't repair things by randomly trying to test components - I wouldn't have even looked at that 33nF.

You can't really test capacitors with a multimeter - but you don't repair things by randomly trying to test components - I wouldn't have even looked at that 33nF.

Hi
Thanks again for your replies , if you have little knowledge like me, it is sometimes the only way for me to find out what the problem is by elimination ! .

cheers

Spike

Hi
Thanks again for your replies , if you have little knowledge like me, it is sometimes the only way for me to find out what the problem is by elimination ! .

Generally it never helps, and causing more problems than you started with.

And unless you can test parts correctly, you're not achieving anything - and the only real way is by substitution with a known good part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back