Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Point to point wiring question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello everyone,

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, and I'm kind of embarrassed to ask it. I've decided to try point to point wiring, however I find that when I need to connect more than 1 wire to a pad, when soldering the first wire often moves off the pad or splays out leading to a messy looking joint.

I'm sure there must be a simple trick I'm missing, I'm not very experienced with simple point to point, pretty much all of my projects thus far have been with strip-board, PCBs or wire-wrapping.

I'm using 30AWG kynar wire with plain copper pads.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips :) - Mike

Hello everyone,

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, and I'm kind of embarrassed to ask it. I've decided to try point to point wiring, however I find that when I need to connect more than 1 wire to a pad, when soldering the first wire often moves off the pad or splays out leading to a messy looking joint.

I'm sure there must be a simple trick I'm missing, I'm not very experienced with simple point to point, pretty much all of my projects thus far have been with strip-board, PCBs or wire-wrapping.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips :) - Mike
Hi,

You have a difficult task on your hands. The only solution I can think of is to glue the wire to the PCD bear to the pad then the wires will not move when you solder them. You can either use special component glue as used for mounting surface mount components, or perhaps a hot glue gun.

spec

Hi
Using 30AWG solid wire, you should twist the two bared ends together, then solder to the pad.
E

I have used this point to point technique on several projects, and yes it can be a bit of a problem connecting two or more wires to one point.

What I try to do if I have to make two connections at the same point...
If there is a component lead or IC pin at the point, I will make a complete turn in the end of the first wire and nip it tight to the wire/pin using pliers before soldering.
Then when adding the second wire, I try to hold the second wire to the joint in such a way that it is holding the first wire in position as the solder melts.

All in all it is a bit fiddly, you just have to practice and keep going.
A good stock of your favourite swear words is useful for those times when you just cannot get it right on the 2nd or third attempt.

JimB

The wiremen at work sometimes used tape, or sticky pads, to hold wires is place while soldering.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back