PNP BJT....Collector and emitter currents very different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,

In the attached common base schematic, the collector current should equal the emitter current. However, collector current is very low at 800uA.
In this configuration, and with the FMMT560Q PNP transistor, is there any situation where , say, high leakage current would mean that collector and emitter currents were not almost equal to each other?

FMMT560Q datasheet
https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/FMMT560Q.pdf

Attachments

• PNP.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 134
Thanks, though we are worried that when the PNP saturates, the collector current will be much less than the emitter current.

If you run a simulation with the two voltage sources changing there is very little difference between the collector and emitter currents. Try adding some leakage in the sim and see if the difference becomes greater than whatever you consider acceptable.

Thanks again, and I mean, the PNP in the schematic of the top post cannot saturate because its Base-Collector junction cannot get forward biased in that schematic and setup.

Thanks, though we are worried that when the PNP saturates, the collector current will be much less than the emitter current.
How can the PNP saturate? You show NO input signal. Is V1 the input signal? What is its voltage range?
An NPN works exactly the same as a PNP in that circuit except the polarities are reversed.

With the resistors you chose, V1 has to be >58V for Q1 to saturate.

Notice the difference between I(R1) and I(R2) = -Ib(Q1). Note the increase of V(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…