Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PM's from newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomslang

Hi

Do you guys get PM's from newbies with 1 or 2 posts to thier name as well? I got 2 in the last week or so... so just wondering, are they just spamming the forum members to try and get an answer? Might be a good idea to have a limit so that you can only send PM's after 10 or so posts?

Hi

Do you guys get PM's from newbies with 1 or 2 posts to thier name as well? I got 2 in the last week or so... so just wondering, are they just spamming the forum members to try and get an answer? Might be a good idea to have a limit so that you can only send PM's after 10 or so posts?

hi,
Yes lots of PM's, I mostly just delete them.

What I do find annoying is when you get PM's from OP's who are getting good answers from the forums anyway.
I advise them to ask their questions on the forums so that other members can take part in the discussion.

EDIT: Hi Mike,, I also got that PM..

Last edited:
This was a recent PM and my reply.

**** said:
Hi pommy,
I'm havin a project where i have to make an digital measuring tape. the basic idea is to use a roller wheel, couple it up with a infrared sensor( as in a mouse), get the output into a counter and finally a seven segment display.

I'm inexperienced with this stuff. can i use a single pic to do all these stuff? or else what would be the way to do it?
Pleeeeese help me with it.
thanks,

You should attempt to get something working yourself and when you get stuck with a specific problem, you should start a thread explaining what you have already done and the problem you are having. I will start you off by stating that a single pic can do what is required.

Mike.

This is how I try to answer unsolicited PMs but sometimes I just delete them.

Mike.

if the question is not a realy stupit one (a stupid question is one where the asker more or less know the answer already or is so aesy to find for example on google or just in a school book)than i just say good bey and that's it.

if it is not a stupid question i try to encurage to post it in a thread so more views and posible options can be harvest.

Robert-Jan

I don't anymore because I disabled my PMs. I do get a friends request about once every 1.5 weeks, however.

I've received a couple of noob PMs as well. IMHO, when it's from an individual that doesn't bother to take the time to properly identify themselves, it gets deleted immediately. :p

I don't anymore because I disabled my PMs. I do get a friends request about once every 1.5 weeks, however.
I wouldn't recommend that, Nigel will just ban you if he really needs to send you a message but can't. He's done it before and he'll probably do it again.

It's a shame that you can't just disable messages from people who aren't moderators/administrators or on your friends list.

I get many PMs from school kids who recently joined demanding that I do their homework for them.
Of course they are mostly from one "emerging" country and address me as a SIR, and they sometimes say PLZZZZ. Their deadline is usually the next day.
I tell them where to go.

I wouldn't recommend that, Nigel will just ban you if he really needs to send you a message but can't. He's done it before and he'll probably do it again.

Yes he will! :D

If PM's are disabled, and I need to get a message to a member, I'll attract their attention (and pass a message) via a short term ban.

Under your Profile > Options, you can check:

"Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators"

There is also the option of e-mail vs. PM that can be checked to allow contact from administrators and moderators.

I don't blame a moderator for banning someone who refuses ALL messages regardless of origin.

John

Under your Profile > Options, you can check:

"Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators"

There is also the option of e-mail vs. PM that can be checked to allow contact from administrators and moderators.

Perhaps that's an option new to the latest version?.

I don't blame a moderator for banning someone who refuses ALL messages regardless of origin.

You need to put this into perspective, it's only happened ONCE, and the ban was only for 24 hours (the minimum option) - and when the member tried to logon he would be presented with a message teling him he's banned, and displaying the message I sent him. If he had emailed me, having read the message, I would have immediately cancelling the short term ban.

I like the ban method but it's not that reliable, as you can't be certain that the person will visit in the next 24 hours.

I like the ban method but it's not that reliable, as you can't be certain that the person will visit in the next 24 hours.

If he doesn't you don't get a response, so you apply it again :D

But like I said, it's only ever happened once and it worked perfectly - small sample size, but 100% successful! :p

PMs by newbies

I also get quite some PMs from newbies.

The messages differ a lot. Some just ask me politely to look at their threat and post my opinion, which I guess is alright. They just want to make sure to get somebodies attention who they think will understand their problems.

People are very much different and some of them are ignorant and demanding.
This is always a good time to let out "father's educational lessons". I just put the youngsters where they belong.

Spanking is not allowed in this forum, (and not possible) so I use other subtile methods.

Helps 100% in every case.

Hans

small lies every now and then make life more funny.

I tend to respond very firmly, and politely if possible, directing them (back) to the appropriate forum.

Spanking is not allowed in this forum, (and not possible) so I use other subtile methods.
Hans
Oh it isn't? Look at my sig. line ... there are several folks about the globe walking around with bruised cheeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back