Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plus264 Package and TO264 Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people!
I am making a converter in which I want a MOSFET with PLUS 264 package but the problem is that I have these mosfets in limited numbers and their cost is also very high. So I thought of checking the circuit with TO264 package mosfet as I have abundant of them. So I was thinking to design a PCB in which both the packages can be used(Plug and Play type). Is it possible for me to do that? If yes Please tell me what I have to do.

From the two data sheets, the differences I see are slight differences in pin width/thickness (very small difference), and the radius/diameter of the side " hold down holes". There is slight difference in the height of the items as well, but overall the TO-264p and the PLUS264 seem to be physically almost the same.
Just design the board to handle the proper pin sizes and verify you have enough clearance (we are talking fractions of a mm here - very small). If the package is to be held down on a board (flat), the only concern would be the placement of the side hold-down notches.
PS: The PLUS264 package you list seems to be an insulated device. The TO-264P device seems to have an exposed Drain(?). Not sure of this, but check this if it is critical to your design. But, if both devices have Drains that are exposed on the back, no concern....

The PLUS264 package you list seems to be an insulated device. The TO-264P device seems to have an exposed Drain(?). Not sure of this, but check this if it is critical to your design. But, if both devices have Drains that are exposed on the back, no concern....
Didnt get what you mean?
Do you mean In terms of electrical insulation or thermal insulation. How did you find this out?
Thankyou

Didnt get what you mean?
Do you mean In terms of electrical insulation or thermal insulation. How did you find this out?
Thankyou
I meant electrical insulation, but reviewing the datasheets again, it looks like both formats have bare Drain exposure on the back of the tab, just slightly different area of metal exposure on the back. This is not a factor in general, any heatsinking would be sized to the specific needs...

The only reason I thought of this is that I do have some MOSFETs that have the "plastic" covering over the entire MOSFET, including the back, giving electrical isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back