Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pls help - light on when armed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lang

I regret that I must ask a question, but do not know where else to turn.

I need to build a circuit to blink a light when power is cut. This is for a motorcycle alarm that doesn't have a visual indicator of the alarmed status.

Using the multimeter, I have only been able to locate a +12v lead that is on when the alarm is off, and vice versa (I'll call this the alarm voltage lead). This is used by the alarm's perimeter sensor.

At first, I thought I could connect the positive lead of the LED to the battery's +12v and the negative lead to the alarm's voltage lead. When the +12v in the alarm lead drops to 0 (when armed), current flows and voila. But this doesn't work - it triggers the perimeter sensor and the alarm fires.

So I built an inverter circuit with two NPN transistors. It worked - but just learned that even when the alarm is off (no light blinking), it still drew current and drained the battery after only 2 weeks of inactivity. (The battery has a 10A capacity).

Here's the schematic that I used: **broken link removed**

Can someone offer up some help so I can find a solution to my problem?

Thanks,

lang

Use a inverter (NOT gate) from a 4069 IC to power the LED or to drive a one shot made with a 555 (Cmos version). The main consumer is the led in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back