Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please point me in the right direction, i havent got a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprio7

hi guys.

i would like to create a browseable list of music tracks/artists on an lcd screen. i would like it to be similar to the layout of mp3 players, in particular the ipod, where you can navigate through a list of artists/songs and make selections on a screen etc.

i will be using a graphics lcd monotone display.

i havent got a clue how to create this database or list of artists/songs and how to display them graphically/textually on the lcd screen with the functionality of being able to scroll through the list.

there will not be any more than 200 different songs, and the actual song will not be stored, only the information i.e name of artist and song so im hoping this wont need too much memory.

Does anybody know how i could go about doing this? is this something i could do using a PIC or something or would i need to go down a different route?

bare in mind, that later on, i would like to transmit the information of the artist/song which has been selected, to another lcd screen x metres away where it will be displayed.

thank you

You can do all this on a microprocessor. Given the questions you are asking you have picked a project that is too advanced for your current level of knowledge.

You need to learn the basics. If you are will to put in the time to do that (have sufficient interest) check out the online tutorials on programming. . You can find others if you google.

im not a complete noob to electronics. i know basics and i think i will be able to do this project with a little help from u guys every now an then along the way because its something im interested in doing, and i think if you are interested, you are motivated and more likely to succeed.

i have never done anything like this before which is why im a bit unsure - basically i dont want to go learning loads of stuff and researching for hours and hours to find out that what im doing is completely off track.

i was jus hoping someone could guide me a bit due to there being so many solutions or ways of going about a particular problem.

you said i could use a microprocessor. i have never used a microprocessor before, i have however used microcontrollers, so, when you say microproccessor, i wouldnt have a clue how to go about that - im not going to lie. BUT, im a fast learner and im keen, if, using a microproccessor is the best way of doing this.

please could you give me a bit more information about why a microprocessor would be better for this than a PIC?

thank you

Micro controllers are usually for I/O and interface application, driving a large garphic LCD is not something really suitable to them, unless you want to use one large PIC (or AVR) as a LCD controller, and another micro controller as an IDE interface, and a third as an I/O controller between them and a ADC/DAC

Even highly knowledgeable people would have difficulty doing any one of these tasks on a micro controller. You're almost better off getting a micro form factor PC and using opensource software instead.

the lcd is 56.27mm(W) x 38.35mm(H) (active area). would that be considered a large lcd? it has a built in controller and is monotone.

i will not be displaying any fancy moving animation or graphics. everything will be stationary other than when you go "down" the list of songs.

this is what i am using

**broken link removed**

i didnt really want to use a pc for this because i wanted it to be as compact as possible, possibly a portable pic based system. by what you are saying it sounds like its really complicated to do.

it has to be a bit complicated because its a final year project and i have a year to do it in starting from now.

when you say do it on the pc, do u mean write a GUI program in C or java for example for use on windows, and drive the lcd from that program directly from the pc using the printer port to communicate with the lcd?

another reason why i dont want to use a pc is because i am going to make several of these units so many users can use them simulteneously from different locations accessing the same song list.

im sorry if im way off, its just a case of knowing what im doing and what direction im going in, once i know that i know what i have to learn/research, practice etc.

i really appreciate the guidance and sorry for my lack of background knowledge in this field

thanks

First lets see if I understand this. You want to build some number of portable wireless units that people can use to select music on a stationary jukebox which will display the queue of songs to be played.

Is that right.

Have you
considered
using existing hardware to make this happen. Maybe a PDA with WIFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back