Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help with LED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathyandgracie

Hello, I am helping my daughter make a book for a school assignment and she'd like to make a single LED light up when one of the pages is opened. I have an LED and a button battery (3V), and I can make it light up when the anonde/cathode are attached to the button cell. But I have no idea how to make it go on and off when the page is opened/closed. Can anyone help me with this? A big thanks in advance!
-Cathy

Two things: You should have a resistor (470 Ohm 1/4Watt) between the cell + and the LED anode.

You need a TILT SWITCH. Here is one you can DIY.

Hello, I am helping my daughter make a book for a school assignment and she'd like to make a single LED light up when one of the pages is opened. I have an LED and a button battery (3V), and I can make it light up when the anonde/cathode are attached to the button cell. But I have no idea how to make it go on and off when the page is opened/closed. Can anyone help me with this? A big thanks in advance!
-Cathy

Hi

The first and obvious is the need for some type of switch embedded somehow into the page(s). Possiblly along the lines of those greeting cards that play when opened? Something like that. That would be then first thing that comes to mind for me anyway. There are other switch possibilities like a NO (Normally Open) reed switch that would close when the book was opened, that would require a small piece of magnet attached to an oposing page or the book cover. Bottom line is a switch and how to activate it. Also as MikeMI mentions a tilt switch configured in there. Also Mike covered that a small resistor should likely be added depending on the LED used.

Ron

Last edited:
maybe just a bit of tin foil glued to the pages is enough, not bulky at all...

maybe just a bit of tin foil glued to the pages is enough, not bulky at all...

That would light the led when the pages are closed. The OP wants the opposite. Adding another resistor and a transistor would allow the two strips of foil to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back