Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me, small LED display counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKemp

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and to electronics, i have a small understanding of electronics but not a great deal especially the programing side of things. Basically i would like to build a LED Display counter circuit that can count up to 15, that works with a two way flick switch so when i flick it one way it adds up and when i flick it down it takes away from the display - for example if i flick the switch up it change the display from 0 to 1 and so forth. What would i need to do to build this circuit.

What you would need first is a switch :D (a DPDT) in an ON - OFF- ON configuration. You would then feed one pole of your switch into the clock pulse pin of a 4510 IC. The second pole of the switch would feen into the UP/DN pin of the 4510. You'll need to debounce the switch inputs into the 4510. The 4510 would then feed into one 4511 which would drive a single 7 segment LED display. For numbers greater than 9, you can cascase 2 or more 4511's to drive additional 7 segment displays. I thought **broken link removed** page had pretty good tutorials on how to do this. Please study the information there and come back when you have more questions.

Last edited:
You could use the 40110 IC. It can count up/down and drive a display in one chip.
In the circuit, just omit IC's 3 and 4 to give you two digits (up to 99).
UP DOWN counter circuit
https://www.circuitstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/up-down-counter-circuit.jpg

cne,

Didn't know about this IC. Good suggestion.

MrKemp,

There's more than one way to skin a cat and cne's suggestion might be the better way to go. So for today at least cne > vne. Mwah ha ha ha (evil laugh in case you couldn't tell). But seriosuly, it seems simpler than my suggestion anyway. The only real advantage I can see for going with my idea would be that you'll learn how to use 2 different ICs as opposed to 1. The 4510 can be used for other things aside from counting just to display a digit. It also wouldn't be a bad idea for you to do both for educational benifit. Maybe you could make one circuit for use with a switch and then make another circuit to count on its own using an astable multivibrator as the clock input.

Good luck. Feel free to come back if you have questions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back