Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me in audio circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_mustafaqwer

I want to make a circuit to convert analog audio to digital audio
And another one to convert digital audio to analog audio

It's prefered to be Ic 's
Help me this is my first project in audio field and i need it .

google search analog to digital converter IC, then google digital to analog converter IC

one you get some types of suitable IC's then you can google those part numbers and get the datasheets
Most datasheets have sample circuit ideas

just to start you off try googling ADC0802

cheers
Dave

PS. you are picking an involved circuit for your first attempt at something
it may be a bit out of your league, see how you get on understanding the datasheets :)

Last edited:
Thanks All Davin , ronv , jimihendrix

But i wanna ask if i used only ADC ic after mic , is this true or i need filter ???

i'm sorry for my english .

A microphone has a very low output level, about 10mV with normal conversation level about 10cm away. It needs a preamp circuit to boost its level to a few volts to feed an ADC.

A filter can cut high frequencies from a mic so that the important consonant sounds of speech (up to 14kHz) are gone (then speech is difficult to understand) or it can cut the low frequency vowel sounds from adult male voices and make them sound like chipmunks.

You must filter out frequencies near the clock rate of the digital to avoid beat frequencies.

The easy way is to use analog audio to digital (toslink) and digital to audio converter boxes ready made such as the third and fifth items here.

The easy way is to use analog audio to digital (toslink) and digital to audio converter boxes ready made such as the third and fifth items here.

Those devices are not converters. They are plug-and-socket adapters.

Do the units have any internal electronics? Do the units require a "supply?"
If you read the spec on them you would see that the answer is yes to both questions.

Digital Audio ICs

What you want is called an Audio Codec, Audio A to D, or Audio D to A.

The Audio Codec is a Audio to Digital converter and a Digital to Audio converter in one chip or module.

The Audio A to D, also called Audio A/D, is just the audio to digital converter chip or module.

The Audio D to A, also Audio D/A, is just the digital to audio converter chip or module.

A good example of a Stereo Audio Codec IC is the WM8731 (about $3-$4 single quantity from mouser.com in US). It is a high quality 16-24 bit, 8-96KHz sample rate audio encoder/decoder that uses a I2C or I2S interface and has a stereo headphone amplifier built-in. It is used mostly for audio and made by Wolfson Microeletronics(wolfsonmicro.com), they also make Audio A/Ds and D/As and other audio related chips.

There are many other manufacturers of audio converter chips like TI and Cirrus Logic to name two.

These chips can range from around $2 to $30 US per chip depending on number of bits, noise, distortion level, number of channels, and extra funtions.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Digital Audio ICs

Forgot to mention the WM8731 also includes the filters for audio input/output, a microphone amplifier with phantom power for use with a condenser mic, or without phantom power for use with a dynamic mic on the single chip. At Microelectronica they have a ($19.95 US) module with this chip, nice since this is a 28 pin SSOP (surface mount) chip, already soldered with support components and voltage regulator. Also check ebay for similar modules.

This chip has to have a microcontroller with a serial I2C or I2S interface to control it. The I2C serial interface is very common, the serial I2S is less common (it is a specialized sound interface) but the I2C interface can easily be used instead.

Most audio converters use the above two interfaces, another common interface on microcontrollers is the SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) which can sometimes also be used on audio converter chips. Read the data sheets for the particular chips to find out.

Randy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back