Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me fix this monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellsee

My son has taken over my living room so that he can play his ps4. I am constantly overwhelmed by the feeling that I am either fixing to be shot or arrested lol. I had him set up in his room and he was using a coby monitor that had a hdmi port. He had a friend over and they were rough housing and a shoe was thrown that hit the screen of the monitor. I am including a picture of what it looks like when it's turned on now. I have another monitor but it only has a vga port. I bought a hdmi/vga adapter and hooked the ps4 up to the other monitor. This didn't work. This only leaves my living room flat screen but that's not working out. I have always fixed my own devices...pc, android phones, ipads... myself so I am somewhat familiar. But this is my first time with monitors. I've been told that there's nothing I can do without spending some money. Is there anyway that I can take something out of the other monitor that could fix this one? It's a great monitor because it has all of the ports for connection. They are hard to find.

Attachments

• 20180507_131146.jpg
    20180507_131146.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
Thing about modern monitors is that when something is broken, it's really broken. By broken I mean that even if it is possible to fix (everything is, if spare parts are avaiable and you've got the right tools for the job), it is probably more expensive getting spare parts then just buying a new one.
If you have two identical monitors and one is working, it should be doable. But why wreck another one if it's working?

Btw: please be aware that some older monitors actually contains mercury gas - the fragile light rods - wich is very toxid. Also - there may still be high voltage present in power supply unit, so even if you have dismounted several electronic things before, it is still a risk getting shocked by touching the wrong place.

I've been told that there's nothing I can do without spending some money. Is there anyway that I can take something out of the other monitor that could fix this one? It's a great monitor because it has all of the ports for connection.

The screen is smashed, and a new screen would cost more than a new monitor - assuming a screen was even available?.

Assuming the other monitor uses an identical screen (which is probably unlikely), then you could swap them over - but even then there might be considerable setting up required, including updating the software to match the new screen. Even when fitting a brand new identical screen they very often don't work, until you update the software accordingly.

most manufacturers only ship replacement panels for units under warranty. you could try to find out by looking at the parts inside to see if the monitor was an OEM item built by Samsung, LG, Vizio, etc... then you may be able to find another monitor that uses the same panel, and inoperative because of a bad power supply or main board. as Nigel said, there are sometimes hidden "gotchas" when replacing panels, especially if the original monitor was OEMed by a major manufacturer. this is because, for instance, if the manufacturer was Samsung, making them under contract for another company, the panel might be programmed differently than the same panel in a Samsung monitor. there may be default features available in the Samsung panel, that they don't want used on a 3rd party item (or maybe the 3rd party doesn't want certain features so they can keep costs down) it would be best to buy a new one, as TVs and monitors are available dirt cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back