Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me build a guitar amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apakhira

Hi
I have a box with 4 speakers- 2 rectangular 4W ones, a square 2W speaker and a tweeter. I want 2 make a guitar amp out of it. I'm thinking of using the LM386(that's what i think it is) 8W Audio amp IC. Now, do i need 2 have a pre-amp stage b4 the amp or just the amp will do?

Thanx

apakhira said:
Hi
I have a box with 4 speakers- 2 rectangular 4W ones, a square 2W speaker and a tweeter. I want 2 make a guitar amp out of it. I'm thinking of using the LM386(that's what i think it is) 8W Audio amp IC. Now, do i need 2 have a pre-amp stage b4 the amp or just the amp will do?

Thanx

You need to have a preamp, a simple opamp will probably do, although it's as well to add tone controls as well.

I have a circuit 4 a 3 band tone control. (Attached here)Please see it. I think if i use this there wouldn't be any need 4 pre-amp cuz that's what i think the 1st op-amp does. Tell me if i'm right.

Attachments

• 3btonecontrol.gif
    3btonecontrol.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,982
The LM386 has a maximum output of only about 1/2W.
Maybe you are thinking about an LM384.

Won't those tiny low-power speakers sound kinda tinny?

The LM386 has a maximum output of only about 1/2W.
Maybe you are thinking about an LM384.
U r right. I told u i forgot the name.

Won't those tiny low-power speakers sound kinda tinny?
Yeah i know. I was just trying to find some use for the speaker cabinet with the speakers which i built when i was a kid. (I can still b called a kid now) Anyway i'm thinking of adding an output socket to drive another speaker when i want, maybe.

Guys, could u tell what the value of R2 i the circuit i attached should be? Also, will increasing the value of R1 decrease the gain or increase it. To in corporate a volume control could i put a pot instead of R1 or should i put a separate pot after or before the circuit?

A quick Google search found this one, that looks the same.
Note that your circuit also needs an input resistor and maybe also an input coupling capacitor.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back