Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLC control of solenoid valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujinvipin

I have a solenoid valve regulated by 24 volts, but how can i control it using PLC with command signal of 0-100 V or 2 - 4 mA?

You have a solenoid valve powered by or operated by 24 volts. Would that be AC or DC voltage? Doesn't your PLC have relay outputs? Generally a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) allows for analog in, analog out, digital in and digital out. Most allow for the use of a relay out. What exactly do you have?

Ron

there are number of options here.

standard in industrial automation is 24VDC (probably about 90%) but of course there are also AC versions with 120VAC or 230VAC being more common than 24VAC. Usually AC is used only when higher power is needed or where voltage drop is an issue (valve is hundreds of meters away from controller) or where simplicity is essential (if you only need one valve, no need to spend money on 24VDC power supply).

Solenoid valves can be individual or in banks (manifolds) and usually are controlled by 24VDC. direct action valves take more current (larger solenoids) but for factory automation much more popular are piloted valves where solenoid draws very little current (makes initial small movement of the valve, which then allows compressed air to complete the movement). The difference is some 2-4A for direct drive solenoid versus some 10-20mA for piloted valve.

But you seem to look for analog control. In industrial world (you mention PLC), analog signals are standardised. Most common are 0..10V, 4..20mA, but there are also 0..20mA, 1..5V, 0..5V and -10..10V. Of course both PLC and controlled device must support same interface (say 4..20mA) otherwise you will need to spend another $150-300 for signal converter (weidmuller, phoenix contact, red lion, etc.)

You would use analog signal to control proportinal valve (earlier we talked about discrete valves). Exact wiring would depend on model (what is the part number and make of your valve). in the PLC you would then write program that sends value to analog output (which is wired to your valve).

One common way to use analog controls is to create PID loops (all PLCs except really really small ones have PID functions built in).

What PLC and valve you use? How long is cable from PLC to regulator? (current loops are favoured in long cabling).

Most common products are Festo and SMC but there are many others. Here is what they usually look like:
http://www.smcetech.com/CC_host/pag...cfm?cc_tvl=&cc_nvl=((CC,smc,INS_US,Node_22816))

Last edited:
btw. you can get help here for sure but note that there are also dedicated forums for this type of questions like:
www.mrplc.com
www.plctalk.net

(i do industrial automation for living, usually work with AB, Omron, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Siemens, etc.)

I have a solenoid valve regulated by 24 volts, but how can i control it using PLC with command signal of 0-100 V or 2 - 4 mA?
That should be 0-10 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back