Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Playstation Slim Board Layout help

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, I'm in the process of repairing a version 15 PS2 slim for a friend, but I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.

When the unit is turned on, the green light comes on, but there is no picture. It also begins spinning a disc, but ceases within the first few seconds of turning the thing on. Both the power supply and video cables have been checked with another working PS2 and are functioning properly

I've checked all of the marked fuses that are on the board, and they seem to be functioning properly.

The only discolored part on the board appears to be a surface mount capacitor, but I don't see how this could be causing the main problem as it is in series with a pin on the ethernet socket and has never gone online. It's a surface mount capacitor directly above the ethernet jack along the bottom row.

No, the system has never been modded. Infact, I think this is the second time it has been opened (the first if any at all was probably at a game store due to the missing screws and an untouched warranty sticker)

anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this problem or know where I can get ahold of a board/part layout for this particular version?

Attachments

• 100_2335.JPG
    100_2335.JPG
    865.6 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
DOes that menu come up if no disc is in it?

There is no sound, and the screen stays dark wether or not there is anything in it. However, the tv does recognize that there is something plugged in... I know the problem isn't the cable.

From a few other forums some people have said that they replaced certain fuses/resistors, but I just don't know where to look on the board.

It's a PS2 slim... I'd scrap it, or save the CD module. It's dead, not worth it at this point. I'll take the CD unit if you don't want it =) I have a ps2 that has a bad spindle motor.

Well, I want to do what I can to this thing. Replacing board level components may be a little difficult, but in the end can save you a lot of money. I'm guessing it has something to do with what in the version 12 is either the (as labeled) PS2 or PS13 fuse, but on this board they aren't labeled. I'll try and follow a few of the general larger components that are in the same place on both of the versions and see what I can find.

Anyone have any ideas of possible culprits to my problem here?

Electrolytic capacitors. ANY major IC on the board that was over voltaged... You're searching for a needle in a haystack. A BRAND new Playstation 2 with controller only costs 100 bucks. Used in working condition you should be able to get one for 20-50 dollars. Not worth the time to spend trying to repair it, unless you know at the outset what is wrong with it. We just had a poster go through this same effort for an Xbox 360, which costs 3 times the amount, and after a week he still hasn't even got a clue what's wrong with it.

Last edited:
Alright....actually, near that one discolored capacitor on the board looks to be a type of film that followed the tracks (aside from the protective greenish laquer).In the case that it could be shorting something out, what is the best way to clean that off of a board?

Also, is there any way to find out the part # on the freakishly-small capacitors/resistors like a micro-engraving on the side or is there anything like this at all?

Wether or not I find the problem,I'll still probably try and see what I can do. Besides, it's great surface-mount soldering Practice. (never soldered anything like that before)

They're usually marked on the top or side, get a good magnifying glass =) Can you take a REALLY good picture of the area you think is damaged? The picture you posted, is sorry to say lacking in detail =) get as close as your camera focus will let you and use a LOT more light. BUT if it's a camera phone don't bother posting any more images, they're useless for seeing things that small, you'd need a real digital camera.

here's the pic. The Fuse TH8001, if it is a fuse (didn't notice it before), has a resistance close to 10. I'll short it out and see if the thing will give an image.

That capacitor I was talking about is towards the bottom right of the image...its hard to see in the pic, but it looks like it was leaking something that is smeared across all of the bottom leads until about halfway between where the audio/video connections are. Would it be a good idea to wipe that general area a little with some isopropanol or would I be making things a lot worse?

(I took it with an old digital camera, but it doesn't have an automatic image stabilizer in it, and just pressing the button alone can cause the camera to jerk a little, making the image somewhat blurry)

Attachments

• 100_2339.JPG
    100_2339.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,054
I see no electrolytic capacitors...ceramic capacitors do not leak as they have no fluid in them. If the capacitor did fail however, it will have failed short. Do you mind circling areas on the photo? I can't find anything you're talking about!

Last edited:
Really.....hmm...well, I guess I've mistaken it for one....actually, come to think of it I don't know why I mistook it for an electrolytic capacitor as there is nothing on it to distinguish polarity....ohwell.

Thankyou for pointing that out.

Maybe it's just an excess of laquer in that certain spot...

I am repairing this for someone...it could be possible that something was spilled on this and they just never told me.

Actually when you look closely at the copper panel in the bottom left corner it, almost looks as if there are beads of some sort of hardened dark-colored liquid near it.
That section does have ventilation holes in it on the plastic shell.

In the case that it is soda, or whatever, what would be the best way to remove it?

Alcohol and compressed air usually work fine.

It's a PS2 slim... I'd scrap it, or save the CD module. It's dead, not worth it at this point. I'll take the CD unit if you don't want it =) I have a ps2 that has a bad spindle motor.

This may be a little late, but ahwell

It wasn't soda and after testing just about every diode, resistor, fuse, and voltage regulator, I think it truly is fried

The CD/DVD drive is still okay if you are still interested. make an offer.

Not many goodies on modern Ps2's they went almost 100% surface mount and I just don't do that right now. I'll pay postage for the CD unit if you wanna wrap it in a small box, shouldn't be more than 2-3 bucks postage tops anywhere in the US. If you're outside the US, or it's not worth your time just junk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back