Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PlayStation Remote Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrostatic

Hey all!!
Im working on a project for school but i need assistance in reconstructing a playstation two remote controller. Does any one in here know of a place online to find a schematic for a playstation two remote controller?

Thank You

I don't have any major leads but I'd like to say I've also been looking for PS2 data and I can't find squat. HowStuffWorks shows the joystick aspect in light detail. It might be easier to ask a modchips forum, since those guys are hardcore on hardware. This page has the PS1 protocol, but like I said, PS2 is still a mystery.

DigiTan said:
I don't have any major leads but I'd like to say I've also been looking for PS2 data and I can't find squat. HowStuffWorks shows the joystick aspect in light detail. It might be easier to ask a modchips forum, since those guys are hardcore on hardware. This page has the PS1 protocol, but like I said, PS2 is still a mystery.

Hey Digitan i just found some interesting information for you if would like to accept it. This information can be found at http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/psxcont/psxcont.htm#PINOUTS

Hope you enjoy!

Yep, actually my AVR project was based mostly from that website. I really wish there was a gamesx for PS2, but I can't find a trace of one. :?

DigiTan said:
Yep, actually my AVR project was based mostly from that website. I really wish there was a gamesx for PS2, but I can't find a trace of one. :?

Isn't the playstation one control similar to the playstation one controller. What im trying to do is reconstruct the playstation 2 remote control but to split it into two. Instead of using the remote control i would want to use two gloves. One of the gloves would be the directional glove and then the other glove would be the buttons to play. It sort of like the power glove from the NIntendo version but different. This looks practical in theory but applying it is going to be a little challenging. Would you happen to have any ideas that you can share as to were you would start?

Yes, I've even been told some games are backward-compatible with the old dual shock I. I've had some trouble confirming this myself, but all sources tell me the cable wiring is identical.

The action buttons on PS2 are supposedly analog on a 8-bit scale. The PS1 buttons worked a lot more like a SNES controller, and --from what I gather-- used a parallel-in/serial-out shift register to send the key states to the controller's built-in microcontroller. After that, the microcontroller sent the key states according to the I/O tables.

The joysticks used a pair of potentiometers attached to a 2D gimble that allowed free movement. The potentiometers created a voltage divider who's output was fed to a (inverting?) op-amp to get the right scale. Then, the op-amp outputs were fed to a 12-bit or 8-bit analog->digital converter. I don't know any part number explicity, but I'd image a general-purpose converter like ADC0804 would do the trick.

Anyway, I guess the centerpieces in all this are the microcontroller, joystick potentiometers, 4 op-amps, and 4 ADCs.

Is there an IC #?

Attachments

• psx_ic_schematics.pdf
    675.4 KB · Views: 674
Electrostatic said:
IS that download sheet that you are supplying an alternate name for the IC number that im asking for ?

No, that's a transistor - the IC you're asking about will be a mask programmed micro-controller, so you won't be able to get a datasheet for it.

I will be a lot more economical to use a PIC or similar µcontroller to emulate all the PSX responses. If I remember, the gamesx guys used a Motorola 68k processor (which was a little overkill if you ask me, but it stilll works).

DigiTan said:
I will be a lot more economical to use a PIC or similar µcontroller to emulate all the PSX responses. If I remember, the gamesx guys used a Motorola 68k processor (which was a little overkill if you ask me, but it stilll works).

Hey Digitan can you help me on this since you seem to be knowledegable with the playstation stuff.

What would be the first step in recreating the Playstation controller. What would be the best microcontroller out in the market to use in this creation and why? What is the sole purpose of the microntroller inside the controller besides establishing communication between the controller and the playstation? Is the microcontroller programmed with dealing with ATT signal, Ack signal, Command signal, and Data signal? I know that the clock is controlled by the playstaion and so is VCC which is supplied by the playstation. Whats the purpose of the other pins that play no role? ARe those pins on a constant low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back