Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Playing with Ultrasound

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakachunka

Which kind of speakers and microphones I need if I decide to work with ultrasound frequencies around 20 to 100 KHz?

Is it necessary to purchase special devices for that?

:?:

Thanks!

I'll state the obvious but with no intent to poke fun at anyone.

You will need speakers and mics capable of performing between 20 kHz and 100 kHz.

It seems that the term speaker applies to audible energy as does the term microphone. In my very limited experience the device that generates converts the electrical "ultrasonic" energy is called a transducer. There is probably nothing wrong will calling it a speaker but by adjusting the terminology you might search and find more information.

Worth noting - while the normal use for speakers and mics is within the normal range of hearing it's clear that many of these do perform above 20 kHz - possibly not the most efficiently but they do work. You'd have to check the specifications or for items on hand, try it and see.

I have read that the impedance of a "speaker" changes with frequency, among other things. Make sure you understand where your speaker is at if you push it beyond the normal range.

Hi pakachunka,

That range of frequencies is within most audio chips.
An earpiece from an old pair of earphones should do
fine as a speaker or transducer. With high frequencies
like those, you don't need much of a surface area.

Mic's from hearing aids would probably work better
than mic's from old mobile phones, but i would be
happy with either.

Best of luck with it, John :)

Thanks for the answer guys!

I will search for the transducer...

by the way, stevez... Do you know the joke about the guy that got lost while flying a hot air ballon?

He sees a person below, and ask this person: "Where am I?"

The person below answers: "In a ballon!"

Thanks... I will look for the transducers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back