Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plaudit ,amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi Ron ,KISS .......
thanks for all the encouragement and your persistence.Finally i made the breakthrough and successfully reversed the motor with the same relay.
Ron ,Your first circuit was 90% correct ;i made a little modification to it:The power supply to the relay coil and the NC and NO contacts must not be tied together or in series.I wish i could provide you with the revised drawing but save browsing the net i m an ignoramus when it come to computers .
Ron ,the first and second circuits you posted is precisely not the relay i am using.I am actually using Omron standard 3PDT Omron MK3P-I relay with mechanical indicator.
Pin 1 is the common for Pin 5 (NC) and Pin 4 (NO) whiles pin 3 is the common for pin 7(NC) and pin 6(NO).Pins 2 and 10 are meant for the relay coils. Wire the two common wires from pins 3 and 1 to the motor.Now two wires(12V DC) must be connected to two NC contacts eg Pin 5&7 and the motor will begin to turn clockwise in direction as long as the relay coil is de-energized.
Next,another wire must be wired from Pin 7(NC) to pin 4(NO) and wire a new from pin 5(NC) to pin 6 (NO);then simply energize the relay coil and the motor begin to turn counterclockwise and vice versa.

Hi friends,
I want to use the MK3P-I in reversing a 12 V DC permanent magnet linear that is rated 5.5AMP.The plug in relay has the following specifications:
CONTACT;10AMP(N.O)
250VAC~/28VDC=5AMP(N.C) RES
250VAC~7AAMP GEN.COS=0.4

Can the relay work in my application?Please help

Last edited:
Hi friends,
I want to use the MK3P-I in reversing a 12 V DC permanent magnet linear that is rated 5.5AMP.The plug in relay has the following specifications:
CONTACT;10AMP(N.O)
250VAC~7AAMP GEN.COS=0.4

Can the relay work in my application?Please help

Dunno.

I understand what "CONTACT;10 AMP(N.O)" means: the contacts are rated at 10 amps, and they're normally open.

I don't understand what

250VAC~7AAMP GEN.COS=0.4

means. Perhaps you can put that into more sensible English.

Is this the relay? (from Digi-Key)

(They showed 7 different relays with that part #, all with different coil voltages, but the contact ratings appear to be identical.)

The datasheet for this relay shows, basically, a contact rating of 10 amps for a resistive load and 7 amps for an inductive load (at a power factor of 0.4). So it appears safe to say it'll work for your application (a 5.5 amp motor).

Where did you get that information you posted on this relay? For this kind of information, it's best to go straight to the "horse's mouth", as they say (meaning the manufacturer's datasheet).

By the way, just curious: why are you using a 3PDT relay to reverse a motor when all you need is a DPDT?

Carbonzit, that is the only DPDT relay on the local market.Unfortunately i am in africa where basic components like that can be very hard to find.The contact rating for all variants of the same relay is 10 AMP. 10AMP contact rating is actually the N.O contact .The N.C contact rating is 5AMP 50% compared to the former;this applies all general purpose relays.The 7AMP rating applies AC voltages.I think i need to get a DPDT with higher N.C rating for Dc applications.

Last edited:
You can have a very good view of the relay and its specifications via this link:**broken link removed**

The contact rating for all variants of the same relay is 10 AMP. 10AMP contact rating is actually the N.O contact .The N.C contact rating is 5AMP 50% compared to the former;this applies all general purpose relays.The 7AMP rating applies AC voltages.I think i need to get a DPDT with higher N.C rating for Dc applications.

Where do you get this stuff? Certainly not from the manufacturer's datasheet, which I linked to above. Did you read it?

Please, don't try to get reliable information from eBay! especially from Chinese vendors ...

So far as there being a different current rating for the N.O. contacts and the N.C. ones, that's BS. Where did you even get that? (It's not on that page you linked to.)

The 7 amp rating applies to an inductive load as opposed to a resistive one, not to AC vs. DC.

Look at that datasheet if you haven't already; all the (reliable) information you need is there.

OK Carbonzit
the specification sheet is in PDF format .My old pc i have with me does not have this software.It is 1am now,Tomorrow morning i check it the spec sheet from a different with this software.
Alternative you can forwarded the spec sheet to my email:kwameklu@gmail.com .Google mail have a special software that can enable me read the pdf document directly from my mail.

Heh; that'll work. You've earned your handle today, KISS!

Kwame: I'm curious, knowing nothing about electronics suppliers in your country/continent. Are there any electronics vendors available to you? where are they? what do they offer? do you have to buy your stuff through eBay? (ugh!) or a third country? are the prices higher?

How ?I told you i do not have pdf on my pc at present.

Email it to your Google account, which you say has a facility that lets you read PDFs.

Funny how I (most of us?) take for granted the ability to read PDFs. Another ASS-U-MPTION bites the dust!

At present ,there are no even 555,OP Amp let alone 78XX voltage regulators locally.Most electronics vendors sell Radio,TV ,DVD,VCD accessories and house wiring supplies period.
Under the circumstances,i have improvise most of the time.To order on ebay one needs credit cards which is elitist in this part of the sun;my finances are also not the best so on two occasions i odered some components from Asia for my hobbyist pursuits.Most of the electronic components are Imitations imported from Dubai not to mention China.Most people even prefer used components from the western brands like Sony,philips ,Bush etc

Last edited:
You don't have to have the reader to download the .PDF file It's just a file. You don't need the reader to email it either. Usually you can email yourself, but I have one very special case with Google where it doesn't work and I've gotten no response from Google either by mail or online help.

Right Click - "Save link as...". email downloaded file to self. Read email. Google docs will open it.

Last edited:
At present ,there are no even 555,OP Amp let alone 78XX voltage regulators locally.Most electronics vendors sell Radio,TV ,DVD,VCD accessories and house wiring supplies period.
Under the circumstances,i have improvise most of the time.To order on ebay one needs credit cards which is elitist in this part of the sun;my finances are also not the best so on two occasions i odered some components from Asia for my hobbyist pursuits.Most of the electronic components are Imitations imported from Dubai not to mention China.Most people even prefer used components from the western brands like Sony,philips ,Bush etc

Thanks for that snapshot of parts availability in Africa, however grim it may be.

I wonder, since you're interested in electronics and obviously a smart guy, if maybe you could start your own import business? There must be a lot of unmet demand, according to what you've told us. Maybe you could be the one to break through to the rest of the world? (Easier said than done, I know!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back