Plastic gear from hourmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hello,

I have a RPM counter gauge with hourmeter included from VDO which has a failure in the hourmeter counter. The failure is on a plastic gear which is moved by another plastic gear fixed on an small DC motor. Two teeth of the plastic gear are broken and I know it´s a usual failure at these gauges because I already found the same problem on other two a few months ago.

I would like to know if somebody knows a good supplier for these kind of gears or a manufacturer. They are also used at VCR, CD players... but I can´t find a company which supplies these spares.

I found this in Italy www.minigears.com but I´m not sure they are able to supply me the part.

MCM Electronics used to handle a lot of VCR repair stuff. Jameco and other suppliers to robot enthusiasts also sell a lot of plastic gears. Small Parts Inc might be another source.

You might read up on how gears are described/defined. That might enable you to measure what you have so you can find a match. Number of teeth is pretty basic - pitch, pressure angle, etc are other significant parameters. I would agree with you that there are some common parameters but I would not know where to begin. The problem - you might find something that looks like a match but if the teeth don't mesh then you've got the wrong one.

Hello Stevez,

thanks for the info, I will check those sites you told me, at the moment I´m here

https://www.sdp-si.com/eStore/Group.ASP?GroupID=207

but I think it´s really difficult to find the proper one because it has doble face, one bigger than the other, with different amount of teeth and the bigger one has also a specific angle at its teeth so... really complex to find it by catalogue!!!!
I´ll keep you informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…