Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plasma TV's powers up but no picture. What fails in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I had a TV offered to me where the TV is said to power up but the screen is black. I have never touched a plasma and don't know much about them. Do they have fluorescent backlights like and LCD? Anything else to look for? I have heard these things are usually not worth fixing. Just trying to get some ballpark thoughts on them.

thanks

Common problems are the x-sus and y-sus boards, and they often fail together.

They don't have backlights, the light is generated from plasma inside each pixel.

Yeah, I started reading up a bit on plasma. Pretty fascinating really. Are the X and Y sus boards what deliver power to the plasma cells to create light? Are these boards any what repairable or are they usually a loss? Can they be bought?

Yeah, I started reading up a bit on plasma. Pretty fascinating really. Are the X and Y sus boards what deliver power to the plasma cells to create light? Are these boards any what repairable or are they usually a loss? Can they be bought?

They come as part of the PDP, but are usually available now on their own - because of their high failure rate.

You can try repairing them, but they don't have circuits available, and the parts are usually pretty obscure.

How are guys sourcing parts for them? I have found this just as troublesome and finding the problem at times. Would the mfg only have these parts or are there aftermarket vendors that make parts like this? Are these boards simply plugged onto a bunch of pins or are they a complex soldered nightmare? I will have to look into these to learn a bit more.

How are guys sourcing parts for them? I have found this just as troublesome and finding the problem at times. Would the mfg only have these parts or are there aftermarket vendors that make parts like this? Are these boards simply plugged onto a bunch of pins or are they a complex soldered nightmare? I will have to look into these to learn a bit more.

The boards simply screw down and plug-in - you can either get them from Panasonic (if you are a Panasonic dealer), or from a component supplier who stocks them.

Nigel, you mention that the X and Y boards typically fail together. Why is that? They seem to be discrete boards so just trying to understand why one would take the other with it.

Also, I recently learned this is a Pioneer, not a Panny but I am wondering if it has Panny parts in it.

I read a lot that power supplies caps like to fail but I am just guessing with all the transistors on the sustain boards that they probably short out and pop the fuse.

Nigel, you mention that the X and Y boards typically fail together. Why is that? They seem to be discrete boards so just trying to understand why one would take the other with it.

Also, I recently learned this is a Pioneer, not a Panny but I am wondering if it has Panny parts in it.

I read a lot that power supplies caps like to fail but I am just guessing with all the transistors on the sustain boards that they probably short out and pop the fuse.

Plasma has all but died out now, I see hardly any of it - capacitor failure was due to using crappy capaitors, usually made by Capxon.

I've no idea why the x and y boards together, it just seems fairly common they do - so you can't give an estimate based on just one (unless you have good panels to try first).

Pioneer have pulled out of TV altogether, and the later Pioneer sets were just but from Panasonic. From reports in the trade, despite their expensive prices, Pioneer Plasma's seem to fail just the same as others do.

this one was made in 2005 with model PDP-504CMX. I agree with you that plasma is dying fast... I have bought nothing but LCD. Would have bought LED but price was still too high and I knew it was going to drop like a rock and has. I was simply offered a near free 50" plasma so might was well see if i can fix it and use it for now. I was never into them because Plasma suffers from burn in like CRT and I use mine as a media center and PC monitor as well. I think as people do more with their TV, the plasma will either disappear or be really cheap.

I have heard there is some new technology coming that will kill even LED stuff because the paper thin pixels are self illuminating, eliminating the need for back lights which will reduce build cost and make for a panel that is super thin and light.

this one was made in 2005 with model PDP-504CMX. I agree with you that plasma is dying fast... I have bought nothing but LCD. Would have bought LED but price was still too high and I knew it was going to drop like a rock and has. I was simply offered a near free 50" plasma so might was well see if i can fix it and use it for now. I was never into them because Plasma suffers from burn in like CRT and I use mine as a media center and PC monitor as well. I think as people do more with their TV, the plasma will either disappear or be really cheap.

I have heard there is some new technology coming that will kill even LED stuff because the paper thin pixels are self illuminating, eliminating the need for back lights which will reduce build cost and make for a panel that is super thin and light.

LED sets are simply LCD anyway, nothing really new about them.

Presumably you are thinking of OLED, which has been "coming soon" since the last century - and there's no sign of it even making an impact yet. It also dramatically INCREASES build cost - it would require a huge leap forward to make it practical, and cost effective.

You can buy small OLED sets, but they are VERY, VERY expensive.

Yeah, I realize LED is still LCD but the backlight should be a bit more durable and reliable. LED stuff is getting cheaper every day.

You obviously know the TV technologies better than I. As with every technology, they are very expensive in the primary stages like OLED might be, but get cheaper as more companies jump in and new mfg processes are developed. Plasma TVs started at about 10 grand for a 50" and now you can get one for 700 bucks.

I am hoping one day to kill the need for a projector to get a sizable screen. Who knows.

Yeah, I realize LED is still LCD but the backlight should be a bit more durable and reliable. LED stuff is getting cheaper every day.

That remains to be seen, the CCFL backlighting is already extremely reliable - it seems unlikely that LED will be any more so, and it would make little difference if it was, as CCFL failure is rarely the cause of failure.

You obviously know the TV technologies better than I. As with every technology, they are very expensive in the primary stages like OLED might be, but get cheaper as more companies jump in and new mfg processes are developed. Plasma TVs started at about 10 grand for a 50" and now you can get one for 700 bucks.

OLED really pre-dates Plasma - it's been 'coming' for so many years I can't remember when - there seems no reason to expect it to suddenly become viable technically or financially. Assuming it ever actually does?, I would expect it to probably be the 2020's - but I wouldn't be surprised if something superior replaces it instead.

rubycon capacitors

i have the same problem on my panasonic veij i have replaced all capicitors to rubycon and still the same thing but the light on the right board powers up then the other but shuts down after that. a light in the middle board with fan stays lit. the fan never kicks on. i have pulled all boards back out of this. anyone no what i should do. parts will be available to buy on ebay. just look for boatdog35706 on ebay. i am sinking in too much money to throw in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back