Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pir

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasclerhys

Hi
I have a Pyroelectric Infra Red sensor module and i was wondering how it worked. i know that it has three legs one being the ground, the other being the source and the other being the drain. If i was to create a simple device that when you hover your hand in front of the PIR it turns on, how would i do it?
What legs do i connect to what?
Thanks

Suggest searching the web, or getting the data sheet for you particular device. It's been a few years, but as I remember you need to amplify the signal coming off the module, and a few other things. The proper lens is also important to get much range out of it. I do remember a site that went through it pretty good a while back, but it seemed like a whole lot of work, compared to just modifying a security light.

It is a motion detector for warm mammals.
The IR detector detects heat and the fresnel lens causes changes in the amplitude of the signal when there is a warm object moving.

It probably will not detect a person wearing winter (insulating) clothing.

You can put something together with a microcontroller or you can use some of the dedicated PIR sensor chips. You can find some on futurlec.

PIR Sensors

Not to go O/T, but my store-bought PID detectors are turning to be crap. I am beginning to become interested in building some custom units to replace the junk that's on the market.

Last edited:
Not to go O/T, but my store-bought PID detectors are turning to be crap. I am beginning to become interested in building some custom units to replace the junk that's on the market.

Quit buying Chinese stuff off E-Bay, might get better quality at home, good for the economy. :)

How Infrared Motion Detector Components Work

Lucky on vacation, and have plenty of time to search for stuff. This gives pretty good overview, theory, and schematic. There are also chips to handle most of it, but couldn't find them when I was interested, and before I figured the off-the-shelf stuff was a better choice.

SALE! Quorum A-160 Passive Infrared Detector-The Electronic Goldmine These work great, haven't failed in about 4 years so far. Wish I knew how to receive the 433MHz signal. Very nice for $4.95, been a while, but think the shipping was a little high on this site. Might be wrong, or it's changed since last time.

You can do PIR with a single microcontroller. Some have integrated OPAmps or sensitive enough ADC's. TI has an app note for interfacing a sensor with a MSP430F2013. Also Zilog sells an E-Pir sensor unit that is just one of the Z8 Encore!'s with a bare sensor and lens. There a schematic for it within the tech spec.

I have a few bare sensors and lenses that I've been meaning to play with here.

rasclerhys, did you happen to buy this PIR from Radio Shack?
If so... they have support info on their website and if you still need help I've been experimenting with one myself and may be able to help.

If not... They have a nice small PIR for about $25 IIRC. Three pins, PWR, GRD, SIG. The signal out is a (relatively) clean 5V that I have been using to trip a 5V relay until I can redesign my circuit.

You can do PIR with a single microcontroller. Some have integrated OPAmps or sensitive enough ADC's. TI has an app note for interfacing a sensor with a MSP430F2013. Also Zilog sells an E-Pir sensor unit that is just one of the Z8 Encore!'s with a bare sensor and lens. There a schematic for it within the tech spec.

I have a few bare sensors and lenses that I've been meaning to play with here.

Never even occurred to me to try a sensor with a microcontroller. I lost interest in the raw sensors before I started with AVR. Might wire one up sometime, if I run across one. I know I saved some, but no clue where to even look.

Oh i live in Britain,and we dont have RadioShack here.
I got it from a site called Bitsbox.co.uk
They have the info for the PIR just not a simple circuit, with an LED a battery and the PIR.

Is this a bare sensor that you have or an actual module with a lens already on it? You have a pic or a link? I can't imagine them sending you a battery, LED, and a bare sensor in a kit.

If it's a module, then it would be easy to make up a simple schematic for you to show how to light the LED.

Oh no they didnt send an LED etc, that is what i have, i just dont want to go using transistors. Here is the link:
**broken link removed**

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back