Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIR Motion detector, remote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Had some new neighbors move in next door, about a month ago. They've been doing a lot of clean up, paint, and so forth. Last night I discovered that they had installed some very bright security lights, which really do a nice job of lighting up my backyard. Unfortunately, walking along the fence line doesn't turn them on. Was wondering if there is anyway to trick the PIR sensor into triggering from a greater distance. I think IR LEDs are too high a wavelength. Might try a laser pointer sometime, but really need something I don't night to aim too accurately.

Could also be an amusing device with Halloween coming up, sort of haunt the Haunted House, since we had several yards using motion sensors last year.

Posting this hoping somebody has already considered something like this, or has pretty good knowledge of what a PIR can and can't be abused with. I don't want to damage the sensor, as the lights are very useful when collecting my dog's toys at night, much more convenient than using a flashlight.

Buy some mice ( the animal) and when you want to turn it on, throw a mouse at the sensor. The heat from the mouse should trigger it to light up. Mice reproduce fast, you would only need to buy a few one time. Maybe food would be a problem. If you catch the mouse you threw, then you can reuse it.

Buy some mice ( the animal) and when you want to turn it on, throw a mouse at the sensor. The heat from the mouse should trigger it to light up. Mice reproduce fast, you would only need to buy a few one time. Maybe food would be a problem. If you catch the mouse you threw, then you can reuse it.

Birdman, is your name Al Gore? Got to admit that it a 'Green' and renewable solution, no dangerous global-warming carbon emissions. Unfortunately, I don't think PETA would approve. Already sort of contemplating something that may be only barely legal (probably not right, but not against the law), and would want to push the animal cruelty issue...

I was really hoping for electronic solution, since this is an electronics forum, but it was a good laugh. :)

Carry something hot. Mine triggers from twice distance if I wave cup of hot beverage around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back