Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIR motion detector circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleee

Hi,

I would like to buy a PIR motion detector circuit. Any circuit diagrams to help me out? I dont need complicated ones where u can adjust etc, just need it to be simple.

At work they bought for the warehouse loading dock a RadioShack PIR motion detector that made a terrible-sounding, square-wave "DING-DONG". Its range was about 20m and it scanned about 60 degrees in width or more. Its detector was pretty big and was diffused and maybe had a fresnell lens inside. It would detect people very well but wouldn't detect a ball nor a cat.

jleee said:
is it possible to obtain the components and bulid myself ?

Not at any reasonable cost - you can buy them ready made for almost nothing, far less than you could buy the components. Look for burglar alarm sensors, or sensors for outside lighting.

I want a DC operated.. and when sensed motion, it will turn on a 12V fan. How do i strip open the burglar alarm sensors and connect wires on.. ?

jleee said:
I want a DC operated.. and when sensed motion, it will turn on a 12V fan. How do i strip open the burglar alarm sensors and connect wires on.. ?

You need to examine the circuit and see how it works - probably easier to use a security light sensor, these switch a relay when triggered.

find a security installer & he'll probably give you an old one that works ok. open it up & there will be a terminal stip with +&- 12v to power pir , a set of tamper contacts for the pir casing & either SPST or SPDT relay contacts. keep in mind that these contacts are only rated at about 500mA and usually have a 40ohm resistor in series

jleee said:
Some PIRs have an on-board DC power supply, if you know what you're doing then you could just remove it and replace it with your own DC supply.

PIR motion detector

j777 said:
Check out the following kit

http://www.glolab.com/glmda/glmda.html

I bought one and it works nicely. They also have them already assembled as well as other useful variations.

I saw the motion detector circuit (from the site).could you confirm :
- whether the relay will be permanently active after motion detection.If not for how long ?
- PIR is with fresnel lens attached?
- PIR part No. details

Thanks in advance

look at SURE ELECTRONICS

they have a store on Ebay. units are under $5
I purchased 5 for $38 w/ shipping.
small unit even has a data sheet that shows how to connect a relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back