PIR motion detector circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleee

Hi,

I would like to buy a PIR motion detector circuit. Any circuit diagrams to help me out? I dont need complicated ones where u can adjust etc, just need it to be simple.

At work they bought for the warehouse loading dock a RadioShack PIR motion detector that made a terrible-sounding, square-wave "DING-DONG". Its range was about 20m and it scanned about 60 degrees in width or more. Its detector was pretty big and was diffused and maybe had a fresnell lens inside. It would detect people very well but wouldn't detect a ball nor a cat.

jleee said:
is it possible to obtain the components and bulid myself ?

Not at any reasonable cost - you can buy them ready made for almost nothing, far less than you could buy the components. Look for burglar alarm sensors, or sensors for outside lighting.

I want a DC operated.. and when sensed motion, it will turn on a 12V fan. How do i strip open the burglar alarm sensors and connect wires on.. ?

jleee said:
I want a DC operated.. and when sensed motion, it will turn on a 12V fan. How do i strip open the burglar alarm sensors and connect wires on.. ?

You need to examine the circuit and see how it works - probably easier to use a security light sensor, these switch a relay when triggered.

find a security installer & he'll probably give you an old one that works ok. open it up & there will be a terminal stip with +&- 12v to power pir , a set of tamper contacts for the pir casing & either SPST or SPDT relay contacts. keep in mind that these contacts are only rated at about 500mA and usually have a 40ohm resistor in series

jleee said:
Some PIRs have an on-board DC power supply, if you know what you're doing then you could just remove it and replace it with your own DC supply.

PIR motion detector

j777 said:
Check out the following kit

http://www.glolab.com/glmda/glmda.html

I bought one and it works nicely. They also have them already assembled as well as other useful variations.

I saw the motion detector circuit (from the site).could you confirm :
- whether the relay will be permanently active after motion detection.If not for how long ?
- PIR is with fresnel lens attached?
- PIR part No. details

Thanks in advance

look at SURE ELECTRONICS

they have a store on Ebay. units are under $5
I purchased 5 for $38 w/ shipping.
small unit even has a data sheet that shows how to connect a relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…