Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pioneer Amplifier Repair

Bromeliad

Hello everyone, thank you for the existence of this forum.I decided to try to repair a Pioneer SA-540 audio amplifier ( part of an economic system from the 80s ) with almost no knowledge of the subject, but a great desire to learn.

From a careful analysis of all the components on the board I noticed two 'exploded' HICHICON 100uF 25v capacitors (brownish liquid leakage); I don't notice any other damage other than the crumbling of the thermal paste on the transistors. I was present at the moment of his death, faint sound, smell of burning and two blown fuses.

I ask you if replacing the two capacitors could be enough or if I should do other checks and if so which ones. Where can I buy spare parts? Would cannibalizing them from the matching old cassette player be an option? Which soldering iron should I buy to easily remove the solder? Thanks for your time and best regards,

Samuel

Attachments

• 20230325_163315.jpg
    20230325_163315.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 179
Those aren't 'exploded' at all, it's simply glue applied to them during manufacture. If it's dead, fuses blown, and smell of burning, then it's almost certain the ourput transistors have failed, and probably other parts as well. The smell is most likely some burnt resistors somewhere, but your picture shows very little of areas of interest.

Oh... Thank you so much; i looked more carefully and removed some gunk near a resistor and this is what i found. I guess this means that ther could be damage to the transistors =(

Attachments

• 20230325_172444.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 152
  • 20230325_172332.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 154
  • 20230325_173340.jpg
    20230325_173340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • 20230325_173407.jpg
    20230325_173407.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
The burnt-up resistor looks to be 4.7 ohm, and it's likely that at least the driver transistors and output transistors have also died.

However, the output transistor (in your fourth picture) has dry joints across all it's pins. and this could have caused the problem - but as with all DC coupled amps, you get cascading failures, it's like a chain of dominoes - if one goes lot's of others topple as well.

It looks like either some liquid has been spilled into the amplifier or the top large electrolytic capacitor marked 38-A has leaked electrolyte (Picture 20230325_172332-jpg). This was probably the start of the sequence of events that caused the fault. You need to find a schematic for your amplifier to help diagnose all the likely components that have failed.

Les.

It looks like either some liquid has been spilled into the amplifier or the top large electrolytic capacitor marked 38-A has leaked electrolyte (Picture 20230325_172332-jpg). This was probably the start of the sequence of events that caused the fault. You need to find a schematic for your amplifier to help diagnose all the likely components that have failed.

Les.
It looks more like the same construction glue as on the other capacitors, the most likely cause (as I've already mentioned) is dry joints on the output transistors.

The schematic is easily available from a simple google.

Hi Nigel, If you look at the close up of the area in picture 20230325_172444-jpg you will see corosion on the cathode end of the diode and the resistors either side of it.

Les.

Hello everyone, thank you for the existence of this forum.I decided to try to repair a Pioneer SA-540 audio amplifier ( part of an economic system from the 80s ) with almost no knowledge of the subject, but a great desire to learn.

From a careful analysis of all the components on the board I noticed two 'exploded' HICHICON 100uF 25v capacitors (brownish liquid leakage); I don't notice any other damage other than the crumbling of the thermal paste on the transistors. I was present at the moment of his death, faint sound, smell of burning and two blown fuses.

I ask you if replacing the two capacitors could be enough or if I should do other checks and if so which ones. Where can I buy spare parts? Would cannibalizing them from the matching old cassette player be an option?Vscomodapk
Which soldering iron should I buy to easily remove the solder? Thanks for your time and best regards,
Replacing the two capacitors is a good starting point, but it's also important to check the surrounding components for any signs of damage, such as burnt or discolored resistors or transistors. You can use a multimeter to check if the components are functioning correctly. In addition, it would be a good idea to visually inspect the solder joints on the board to ensure there are no cold solder joints, which can cause intermittent or faulty connections.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thank you for the existence of this forum.I decided to try to repair a Pioneer SA-540 audio amplifier ( part of an economic system from the 80s ) with almost no knowledge of the subject, but a great desire to learn. From a careful analysis of all the components on the board I noticed two 'exploded' HICHICON 100uF 25v capacitors (brownish liquid leakage); I don't notice any other damage other than the crumbling of the thermal paste on the transistors. I was present at the moment of his death, faint sound, smell of burning and two blown fuses. I ask you if replacing the two capacitors could be enough or if I should do other checks and if so which ones. Where can I buy spare parts? Would cannibalizing them from the matching old cassette player be an option? Which soldering iron should I buy to easily remove the solder? Thanks for your time and best regards, Samuel
It's great that you want to learn about audio amplifier repair! If you've spotted two damaged capacitors and some old thermal paste, start by replacing those capacitors with the same values, which you can buy from electronics stores. Cannibalizing from a similar device might work if the parts are in good condition. For soldering, a 30-40W adjustable soldering iron is suitable, along with solder, desoldering tools, and a soldering iron stand. Remember safety—unplug the amplifier and discharge any stored energy before you start. It's a learning journey, so be patient and seek help from forums or experienced folks if needed. Good luck!

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back