Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pinewood Derby Electronic Finish Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda typical for someone with a "know it all" attitude.
Seasoned pros offer suggestions and the suggestions are very viable and proven but a "closed mind" is not going far in this world,
For one to succeed they need an open mind. Just because the opti sensors didn't work dose not mean they will never work. Optical sensors are used every day. Look at a tv remote = optical sensor

If their mind is made up, don't confuse them with facts.

Last edited:
Hey Crutschow, I am going to have to remember that saying. Its a keeper
And That's a Fact Jack

Come on guys, chriscc17 has tested his tilt switches and they work to his satisfaction. He came for a circuit that would work with them.

I don't see why it's so important that he try different sensors.

We did suggest a circuit.

He didn't state that he had tested the tilt switches and they worked until about 14 responses into the thread.

2 questions regarding this circuit.

1) Can you simply replace the push button switches with Tilt switches as the activation device?
2) Also I see a master reset switch being used. I need for it to automatically reset each time without some switch having to be pressed.

For example the car hits the tab with the attached Tilt switch which causes the light to flash.
The tilt switch on the tab will rock back to it's original position automatically once the car passes through it. Based on this circuit would that action alone make it ready for the next race or would you need to modify it further?
1) Yes you can just replace the push button switches with the Tilt switches.

2) It seems like you would want the light to stay lit to indicate which was the winner. Then you just push the reset switch before the next race.

Come on guys, chriscc17 has tested his tilt switches and they work to his satisfaction. He came for a circuit that would work with them.

I don't see why it's so important that he try different sensors.

I did apologize, sorta I think... Maybe too late...:(

I think it was the technical term "kludge" that upset him.

Which was a term that I felt was appropriate.
From wiki
A kludge (or kluge) is a workaround, a **broken link removed** solution, a clumsy or inelegant, yet effective, solution to a problem, typically using parts that are cobbled together. This term is diversely used in fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, Internet slang, and evolutionary neuroscience.
In the end I did apologize for offending the person and not quite sure why this person reacted the way they did. I guess I should pull my job application as ambassador to Slovenia. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back