Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo transducer complication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using a piezo transducer and I would like to make it somewhat more sensitive somehow or any other way of fixing this:

Problem: Piezo works when I tap it with my finger however it does not do anything when it is tapped by a metallic object which is hitting it with less cross sectional area however with the same force. in application the piezo is meant to be hit by a metallic object and not my finger, any ideas?

Is there something I'm missing ?

Thanks for your help, any ideas are welcome!

OK.
Some additional info would be nice, i.e.,

-Piezo specs
-How is piezo mounted
-Peizo output level when tapped with your finger
-Peizo output detection method
-What is the metallic object.

Anything else that helps describe your circuit.

Perhaps the piezo output is being short-circuited via the metal and your body? You could test this hypothesis by providing an insulation layer between metal and body.

It works when the anode and cathod wires e of the piezo are in a certain position so I guess I have to keep it in that position..

JM, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of what you described in the post above.

Just curious...

Is the amplifying/sensing circuit input impedance of the proper MΩ magnitude ?

Is it a round sensor with a white patch on one side and two wires on the side of the white bit? If so turn it over ;)

Sorry that was rubbish description! is it like this kind of sensor?
sensor 1.PNG

If so they work better if you turn them over to the plain metal side and bang that :D

Last edited:
Yep that's it.
Isn't it the piezo material which is tapped that makes it work and the brass around it is for conduction ?
so technically you need to tap the piezo material rather than the metal?

I found the white bit gets damaged, mine have seemed to work better if i tap the back (the bronze bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back