Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pictures of Milky Way Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonwarrior

hi,everyone..
How are the pictures of our home Milky Way Galaxy taken ?
I mean , Imagine you are in a house,and suppose u need to take a pic of your neighbor's house(neighboring galaxy ).u go to the balcony and take the pic,(That's very simple).
But now ,if u need a pic of your own house,u again go outside the house and take the pic.(Again that's simple)...But my doubt is, how can u take a pic of the milky way galaxy when u are inside it ????
i mean u definitely need to go outside the house to take the pic of your own house.
how one can go outside the galaxy ?
so,Those pictures all are an artistic imagination...is it so ???

hi,
Because we live in a outer spiral of the Milky way, so the picture we see is looking towards the centre of the galaxy.

If you imagine the center of the Galaxy as the house and the outward spiraling arms as the yard we sort of live in the are that would be considered the grass between front sidewalk and the street or in the weeds along the edge of the back ally depending on how you want to perceive a front or back to where you are in relation to the center.

Actual pictures of our galaxy do not look like a galaxy. It is a blob of stars and gas with concentration looking towards the center of the galaxy. If you are in a location not swamped with lighting from city you can clearly see it sprawled across the sky.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060801.html

Most of the pictures you see are of other spiral galaxies, Andromeda galaxy being the closest at about 2.5 million light years away.

Last edited:
I was watching the news last night and got the end of the story, I think an asteriod or meteor is supposed to fly by today or tonight. I think between the earth and the sun?

Anyone else know more about it?

Between Earth and moon. It is a fairly large one, but such events (i.e., inside the orbit of the moon) are not all that rare.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back