Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit3 not programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a ProPicII years ago and that managed to program and verify every chip I used with it, however the problem I had was with erase. Any time I used the ProPicII to erase a device it always left some of the config bits programmed thereby preventing further programming, not always, and not on any particular chip over another. I began blaming the software (ICProg) that I was using with it, and then the power supply for the programmer, and then the programmer itself, I must have changed all the transistors twice. It was unexplainable, I never did get to the bottom of it. I only had the programmer for quick and dirty work onsite because it was cheap and wouldn't be missed if stolen, but decided that a baby Xeltek was a better choice in the end. Never looked back since.

The PicKit 2 & 3 programmers are good at what they do, but they are classed as "development" programmers for a reason...
To be fair to them, I have never had any issues with either the PicKit 2 clone from Sure Electronics or Microchip's Serial Analyser that I own.

rgds

I got new one. Its working wonderfully. Also, the stuffs with capacitor isn't all important. The circuit runs fine even if I remove the caps altogether.
But its amazing to notice that PIC's can be dead, even when it can get programmed/read successfully. Moreover, I hadn't used the PIC in any real circuit, except some test circuit. What use can I make of the half-living PIC?

Last edited:
As you stated that it programs and reads perfectly, you could just use it as Flash memory, or snip off the pins, drill a wee hole in it at one end give it a quick file up. Then thread a keyring through it and and use it as a keyfob :)

I still reckon the chip might be saveable, although for the cost of the device, it's hardly worth the effort, get someone with a production programmer to properly erase it for you and give it one last try...

rgds

I got new one. Its working wonderfully. Also, the stuffs with capacitor isn't all important. The circuit runs fine even if I remove the caps altogether.
But its amazing to notice that PIC's can be dead, even when it can get programmed/read successfully. Moreover, I hadn't used the PIC in any real circuit, except some test circuit. What use can I make of the half-living PIC?

I saw what you really wrote, and how you exchanged what you wrote with your sleight of hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back