Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit2 Starter Kit OR PICkit 2 Debug Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The only real differences are that the Starter kit uses a plug in dip chip so it is possible to change it.
However the supplied chip is not capable of running the debugger, unless you use the messy and expensive headers.

The debugger board is possibly better as that chip does run debugger but it is soldered to the board and as such not removable.

You can buy the Pickit 2 on its own, it still comes with the usb lead and software/ tutorial Cd.
So , if you are handy at building your own simple circuits just buy a chip of your choice add a couple of switches and leds and a six pin header and make your own starter debugger board, allowing space to easily add on thing like lcd etc.

Yeah I would say I competent in programming PIC's and building circuits...
So no problems there.
I’ve been using a programmer from Futurlec for the past year and a bit. But it has a limited range of PIC’s it is able to program.

I want to expand the range of PIC's I experiment with, so I need a new programmer. I’m not fussed with the supplied chip.
I probably want even use the board provided.
I tend to implement an ICSP into everything I make.

I am NOT however, competent in using MPLAB efficiently.
All I use it for is to compile my assembler source code into HEX.
Then I burn it to the chip in circuit and if it doesn’t work, I adjust the program and re-burn, until its right.

All this debugging stuff I haven't got a clue about, but am interested to learn.

Maybe I'll explain what I can, and want to do, then you can make better recommendation for me as to what I should get.
I can program PIC's, I can build circuits and can program in assembly.
And I want to explore different PIC's with various functions/peripherals, I want to continue using direct ICSP, and would like to start using more of the available software (for PC) to develope programs. And of course use MPLAB to its full capabilities.

Hope that makes things a little clearer to understand my intentions or needs.

Hi,

Well it sounds like the basic Pickit2 is right up your street.
( unless you need to do the very latest top end pics when the Pk3 might be the better long term buy )

As well as the Debugger feature the Pk2 will also program EEproms and as extra tools like the Usart and Logic Analyzer.
It also does the very handy Programmer to Go - where you load up the PK2 with the target chips program but then remove it from the pc and literally take just the PK2 to the device in question, possibly miles away.
( you do need a little usb / battery as well though)

Debugging is a usefull feature which allows you to directly run the progam in circuit with the target chip but still under Mplabs control.
You can do various things like single step through the code and observe all the registers etc to help find where the fault exist.

Just download the Pickit2 Users manual and have a look at all the features - little to beat it at the price.

ohhhh so plain old PICkit 2 is another thing...

I see now that i have found it (below)
I thought the ones i mentioned were the only 2.

Well I guess ill go with the plain PICkit 2.

92-pickit2.jpg

Last edited:
If you go for the Debug Express, then it's just 'plug in and go' when you get it. It comes with a number of sample programmes for the supplied board, and you can practice debugging on it.

That's the one I bought, but it was only £9.99 on offer through EPE :D

So does the simple PICkit2 still have the same debug capabilities? or only to an extent?
And with the Debug Express, in the description it says "PICkit 2 Debug Express allows in-circuit debugging on selected PICmicro microcontroller units (MCUs). "
Is this a downside?
And does it still mean it can program all PIC MCU's?

I am still struggling to understand the CLEAR differences between them.
Scuse my ignorance

Hi,

The Pickit2 Units are all the same - no difference what so ever.
They all program and debug the same chips.

Its that only certain pic chips have on board debugging facilities.

The Pickit2 will program the majority of pic chip that the diyer is likely to use.

Typically the older and smaller chips do not have debugger built in, however you can run debugger on those chip by using special headers and adaptors that contain another chip to mimic the debugger - a very messy solution .

Simply put, buy modern chips with debugger feature built in.

Mplab list all the chips it supports for debugger.

Last edited:
I am still struggling to understand the CLEAR differences between them.
Scuse my ignorance

If you will note closely, the "plain" Pickit 2 comes with a 16F690 20 pin chip which is removable (very handy). The Pickit Express has another chip which is permanent to the board.

So what?, you may ask. Well, you mentioned using several other chips. With the "plain" board, you can replace the 16F690 with selected other chips and continue right along. The big determiner is the inputs to the chip (VDD, GND, etc., vary from chip to chip).

The 690 is a very versitile and powerful 8-bit chip in itself. The fact that it is portable in the "plain" system makes it even handier. You can program it to your liking using the development board, then remove the chip to your working circuit, plug it in and keep going. It features all the perifrials, including ADC, EUSART, PWM, three timers, etc and runs well on its internal 4MHz osscilator.

And, as has already been mentioned, by using a breadboard and a 5-wire connector, you can program virtually any chip in the Microchip 10, 12, 16 and 18 families.

I have been using the Pickit2 "plain" version as described for over three years now, and have had very few problems of any sort. I do both assembly and c language and have used examples of most all the chips from 12 thru 18 successfully. I reconmmend it.

Thats exactly what I needed.
A bit of confidence!
Nothing else sells like a happy customer.

Alright, where do I get one. I'm in Australia.
I've got (inc shipping)
Farnell: $64.11AUD
mcDIRECT: $52.20USD (+ whatever the currency conversion is)

Any other suggestions?
Or should i just stop trying to save 3 dollars and buying the thing!

As has already been said, all you basically would need is the basic PICkit2, a breadboard and a jumper wire setup. This would allow you to use 8, 14 & 20 pin parts on the bundled LPC Demo board, along with the same functionality plus larger pin-count devices on the breadboard. You can't however use the 18 pin parts on the LPC Demo board, due to the pinout, for that you would have to use the breadboard & jumper wire setup.

You can even use 10F DIP devices on the LPC Demo board, but in order to do so, you would have to knock up a little converter board to plug into the 8 pin section. You can use the 14 pin header to connect the on-board LED's to the relevant 10F GPIO, just the same as with the 12F.

You can also knock up a 40 pin ZIF to plug directly into the PICkit2, for 'volume' programming. I have one made up, based upon JDM, but due to an oversight it doesn't handle 18F4550....needs a redesign.

Last edited:
Jakes, I personally feel that you just need the 34.99 # one , PG164120
balance you can manage in your hobby way by inserting the device under program in a solderless bread board and extend just 5 wires from pickit2. This is what I do, even though i got a 44pin demo board in addition. as time passes , we have yo any way use breadboard etc to develop hardware to our needs
. So you can do it from now itself !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back