Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I have a quantity of PICkit2 clones that I use for teaching, most are JuneBugs (thanks Bill).

Today I am toying with the idea of getting a PICkit3 but am on the fence about it.

According to MPLAB PICkit3 works with 32 bit processors.

It has more breakpoint ability including several related to data.

It was rumored to be faster then the PICkit2.

If anyone has anything to add please do.

3v0

Looking at the table of features, there doesn't seem to be many advantages,
**broken link removed**

The only noticeable difference being the bigger memory size but this is only for the stand alone programming.

If anyone has a PicKit3 then I am also keen to hear of your impressions.

Edit, the greater breakpoint facility seems to limited to the ICD3.

Mike.

Last edited:
A little more info.

The PICkit3 offers a bit more breakpoint ability then the PICkit2. It does not offer sequential breakpoints. Active features depend on the chip as well as the type of debug hardware so I used the 18F1330 which has 3 breakpoints.

PICkit 3 Manual

In 9.3.2 Set Breakpoint Dialog the manual talks about both program memory and data memory breakpoints.

Using the 18F1330 In MPLAB with PICkit3 selected when on selects DEBUGGER>BREAKPOINTS>ADD_BREAKPOINT you are presented with the ability to set both program memory and data memory breakpoints. For data memory breakpoints you can set address, value, and a choice of break on read or write.

There is also the a EVENT breakpoint that breaks on stack overflow.

:( I just have a lowly ICD2. And it's half the cost to get an ARM programmer instead of an ICD3 so...seems only logical to move on.

Last edited:
What does "serialized USB" mean that PK3 has but PK2 doesn't?

The way I read it is that the PicKit3 does not offer any better breakpoints than the previous version. If it does then I would consider buying one (especially if they got rid of the skidding). Surely, if it has greater abilities it would be in the table above.

I just had a quick read of the pdf and it appears that the PK3 has no advantage except the ability to use different voltages.

It may be faster (I would buy it if that was true) but that is not one of the advantages advertised.

Mike.

I can not speak to the skid as I do not have a PICkit3 here.

But I did fire up MPLAB and set it to PICkit3. That allowed me to verify that the breakpoints dialogs for data and watchdog timer exist for this tool.

The table only lists complex breakpoints. I think complex means combinatorial and/or sequential conditions.

Last edited:
But in the future...

I see no reason to get the 3.

Other that in the future it will be improved, updated while 2 is dropped into oblivion.

In other words: why MCHP could have released a new one?

Well with the new enhanced cores coming out from MCHP I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped support for the ICD2 and only the ICD3 will be able program/debug them. Tonight I've been reading up on the new breed of 16f628 and it could be the 16f877a on the ICD2 cant handle the 30 or so banks on these newer pic's.

Well untill they decide to let us know we'll all be just guessing.

Cheers Bryan1

On the microchip forum I read that the PICkit3 was not intended to be a replacement for the PICkit2. That development on PICkit2 was ongoing and that PICkit3 would never have as many features as PICkit2.

I do not believe everything I read but there is enough doubt here to keep me away.

The decisions that will determine which way development goes it up to management. That alone should tell us not to depend on logic.

3v0

Last edited:
If there was any advantage they would advertise it. Had they advertised some feature that made it better I would buy one. They are either naive in their advertising or there is no advantage to the PicKit3.

Mike.

I haven't used the PicKit3 myself, but I have used the PicKit 2 a lot.

I've got myself hooked on an electronics engineering video blog, and in one of the episodes the author talks about the PicKit2, adding a small snippet about the PicKit 3 at the very end. His basic opinion was that there aren't too many advantages to warrant ditching a PicKit2 for a PicKit 3 and in fact there are some disadvantages.

Here's the link to the specific entry in the blog, in case you're interested:

**broken link removed**

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back