Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 2 Starter Kit confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil09

Got my PICkit 2 today. I started playing around with the MPLAB IDE and it seems that I can't build/debug C files. I thought I would be able to make a HEX file from a C program. Looks like I need something called the ICD header to do that. :confused:

So my question is...what exactly CAN I do with the software and hardware included with the PICkit 2 Starter Kit? I couldn't even load the demos because the PICkit 2 programmer says they are too big.

Ok, so it looks like I can create .asm files and then .hex files using the linker. But it looks like creating .hex from C files is out of the question with the Starter Kit setup. Maybe with a different IDE?

Thanks for tolerating my neophyte questions.

No, no, C18 won't work on the 16F690... Does he need to install/setup the HiTech C package? I don't know for certain because I don't have a PICKit2...

Last edited:
Definately Hitech C for the 12- 16 family. Be sure to read the instructions for use just after initializing HItech.

Yup, just got the PICkit1 myself. Was a little confused but just download the Hi-Tech C Complier with the link above and it should do the rest for you. Can then create and build C files -> hex.

Yep, I also got PicKit2 and it comes with the low pin count demo board which has PIC16F690 and to build executables for that PIC I used the Lite version of PICC

It works well and I am happy

HI-TECH C PRO for the PIC10/12/16 MCU family (Lite) V9.65PL1
Copyright (C) 1984-2009 HI-TECH SOFTWARE
(1273) Omniscient Code Generation not available in Lite mode (warning)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back