PICkit 2 Starter Kit confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil09

Got my PICkit 2 today. I started playing around with the MPLAB IDE and it seems that I can't build/debug C files. I thought I would be able to make a HEX file from a C program. Looks like I need something called the ICD header to do that.

So my question is...what exactly CAN I do with the software and hardware included with the PICkit 2 Starter Kit? I couldn't even load the demos because the PICkit 2 programmer says they are too big.

Ok, so it looks like I can create .asm files and then .hex files using the linker. But it looks like creating .hex from C files is out of the question with the Starter Kit setup. Maybe with a different IDE?

Thanks for tolerating my neophyte questions.

No, no, C18 won't work on the 16F690... Does he need to install/setup the HiTech C package? I don't know for certain because I don't have a PICKit2...

Last edited:
Definately Hitech C for the 12- 16 family. Be sure to read the instructions for use just after initializing HItech.

Yup, just got the PICkit1 myself. Was a little confused but just download the Hi-Tech C Complier with the link above and it should do the rest for you. Can then create and build C files -> hex.

Yep, I also got PicKit2 and it comes with the low pin count demo board which has PIC16F690 and to build executables for that PIC I used the Lite version of PICC

It works well and I am happy

HI-TECH C PRO for the PIC10/12/16 MCU family (Lite) V9.65PL1
Copyright (C) 1984-2009 HI-TECH SOFTWARE
(1273) Omniscient Code Generation not available in Lite mode (warning)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…