Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PicBasic Pro vs MikroBasic vs (SX/B or PBASIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tdg8934 said:
I returned the EasyPIC 4 and accessories back because it was very overwhelming to know where to even begin. I got fustrated after a week of reading all the documentation to find out that the registry items like TRISA and PORTA were not listed in the PIC Basic language help or guide. I did not know where to find it at. All of the Basic Stamp 2 and SX-28 instructions are all listed in 1 place. After looking through the PIC 18Fxx2 datasheet for a 18F452 it was clear that I was spinning my wheels.

I wanted to move up to something else to see what was out there like PICs, AVRs, ATOMs, PICAXE, etc. I wanted something easy like the Basic Stamp 2 but with the programming power of the SX-28 micro controllers thinking PICs were the answer. Commands such as READ and DATA were just not listed in the PIC BASIC type languages. Although I see that that ATOM has everything (at least the PRO or PRO PLUS versions). I wanted more than a Basic Stamp 2 but did not want an overwhelming learning curve and the PIC scared me away I guess because of how limited I saw that the BASIC language commands were.

I hope I did not affend anyone with my actions but it did not seem right with me and I was able to return the stuff - still awating my refund.

I love developing LED display projects and XOR had some neat stuff which is really a good reason to almost hang in there with PICs.

Thats all.

Yep, I know that feeling. My closet is filled with simple processor kits that I got the LED to flash and then put away "for later", never to see daylight again.

I got the Atom in a development board put out by EL Products called the Basic Board. It had lotsa switches, LEDs, an onboard LCD, the serial port for programming and bitbang serial comms, and a connector to the PIC's internal USART. This is my favorite toy, and I use it a lot just for concept work. I find the commands for this easiest to work with. Basic Micro claims their commands are close to Stamp BASIC so people can upgrade to it easily. Your mileage may vary...

I have both an EZPIC3 and -4 and except for experimenting with the graphics LCD on the -3 I haven't really done much of anything with it. When I got the -4 I tried running some working code I had written on the -3 and found it didn't work. Checking mE's forums I discovered they had changed the libraries to accommodate their incircuit debugger and several people wrote in to say their code had stopped working. I fell out of love with their PIC BASIC real quick because it is obtuse; largely tied to their libraries, a concept I don't readily follow; and is very structured. I find the last a hoot, as I want to work with very simple low-end processors, and they have a compiler suitable for a PHd in Computer Science. They claim that their compiler is for intermediate and advanced users, not beginners. Hell, I have some experience with software and it even leaves me in the dust.

I have repaired and helped design embedded processor boards in the commercial world for 28 years. I have a fairly good understanding of the basics, so most of what I see in these kits and compilers is understandable to me. This is probably a different story for you. No one holds a beginner's hands like Parallax, and no one else can boast the forum they have. Forums like this can be an assistance to the struggling beginner, but if you want to advance beyond the Stamp, you're just going to have to grit your teeth and plow on through many, many manuals and tutorials.

'Nuff said,
kenjj

tdg8934 said:
Thanks for the encouragement!

Now do I go with an ATOM or stick with my Parallax stuff?

Stay with what you know until you absolutely positively can't push it any further. After you've exhausted every shifting IC, display driver and trick you can divine, THEN entertain the idea of trying something else. Study what XOR is doing and build on that. Since the SX series is still a Parallax product, you'll still be in good hands. Eventually, however, if you keep expanding your projects, you will _have_ to expand to a processor with more pins and more memory. In that case, if you want to stay with Parallax, got to their Propeller chip. It already has a BASIC. I can't say if it's as friendly as PBASIC. I think you'll find that it too will force you to crack the books some, but they have a LOT of tutorials and beginner's code.

Later!
kenjj

Thanks again for the encouragement.

I did have a propstick once and did nothing more than turn on a demo program on a VGA monitor and NTSC monitor. I tried to learn SPIN but it was too far off from BASIC and I did not get far. I later bought a Hydra and turned it on once and saw the game demo running which was really cool. However, after reading the 800+ book and the pages fell out, I had them send me a replacement book and eventually sold all of it on Ebay after the price dropped $50 a week or two after I bought it from Parallax. More fustration. SPIN was too much like C or (not BASIC) and forget Assembler.

Perhaps I am most happiest with SX chips and BS2's (from time to time). I think your right about that.

Just chiming in, PIC BASIC is $99 and actually closer to the Stamp commands than PIC BASIC Pro. That's the price of only a couple of Stamps.

PICBASIC Pro can be integrated into MPLAB and produces the .cod files needed to run with a hardware debugger (this is a huge bonus IMHO). The demo version will allow code up to 40 lines long and supports the 16F877A.

Now jump to the 18F series PICs and you can use the excellent Swordfish BASIC compiler and the demo supports 200 variables (bigger than ANY BASIC Stamp) for free. It has psudo MPLAB integration as it does not currently produce the .cod files so no debug support yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back