Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

picbasic pro rctime instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

abofar

Hello.All

I have a question please excuse me if it is silly. In picbasic pro RCTIME is somehow ambiguous. Look at this code :
Main:
HIGH RA.0 ' charge the capacitor
PAUSEUS 250 ' for 250 us
RCTIME RA.0, 1,Result ' measure discharge time
PAUSE 100
GOTO Main
1. RCTIME suppose to return the discharge time of the capacitor . High RA.0 set pin RA.0 to +5v. 250uS delay inserted to give time for C to charge. RCTIME starts timing the discharge . When 1.4v reached the timer stops and discharge time is stored in Result. I cannot see the start time here , if it is stars at RCTIME instruction, there is 250uS has not been taken into account and therefor the timing is not accurate. Am I correct here?.

2. Is the voltage level to switch from high to low 1.4v or 1.3v as some say ?.

3. Is the time returned by RCTIME instruction actually RC time ( T=RC where the voltage suppose to be at 36.2% of the supply voltage, for this formula to be true)? . Is the voltage 1.4v correspond to 36.2% of 5v so we can take it as RC time?. Actually 36.2% of 5 is 1.81 not 1.4 or 1.3.

I roved the internet but could not find an answer.
Please any help.

Obaid

Last edited:
The way I read it is... Set the port high... wait 250us to make sure the cap is fully charged... When you execute RCTIME.. this is a function. the "result" is worked out within that function from the time RCTIME is executed untill the cap reaches the discharges state. This simple A to D is not hard to understand... If you can read assembler, take a look at Nigel's tutorials... Joystick input... This is explained in the theory.

Thank you Ian for your quick response. I understand the function of pic adc. My problem is that I cannot see where RCTIME start timing . As I understand from pibasic pro manual it starts at the time the instruction executed. Discharging could start before that may be 100uS before or any time before the instruction is executed. How can this time measured by RCTIME can be taken as RC time ,it is just time represent part of the discharge time, isn't it?

Obaid

OK let us assume it is accurate. What time does it measure in relation to RC=T. 1.4v is not 36.2% of 5v. we know that it changes state at 1.4v. An by the way is it 1.4v or 1.3v?

Obaid

Here Ian is what RCtime looks like in asm I'll post both asm and the basic
ASM
Code:
	GOTO L1
L12:	MOVWF 0x34
	BSF FSR,7
	IORWF INDF,F
	BCF FSR,7
	CLRF 0x22
	BTFSS 0x20,0
	MOVWF 0x22