Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F4620 Internal EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromanci

Hello,

I have been reading up reading and writing to the internal EEPROM of a PIC. After reading and doing some research i still have some questions.

One question i have is if i were to take a dynamic string say Dstring. Get it a default value of say "default". Is there a way to write that right to the eeprom at the address i specify? my attempts at it all seem to fail, but when i write just basic bit codes it works just fine.

here is a little sample of what i am talking about.
main ()
{
string *Dstring = "default";
int i;
short addr = 0x000;
for(i=0; i<strlen(Dstring); i++)
{
EEpromPut(addr++,Dstring);
}
}

void EEpromPut(short addr, char data)
{
WORDbytes temp;
temp.data=addr;
EEADRH = temp.high;
EEADR = temp.low;
EEDATA = data;
EECON1bits.EEPGD = 0;
EECON1bits.CFGS = 0;
EECON1bits.WREN = 1;
INTCONbits.GIE=0;
_asm
MOVLW 0x55
MOVWF EECON2,0
MOVLW 0xAA
MOVWF EECON2,0
_endasm
EECON1bits.WR=1;
while (EECON1bits.WR == 1){};
INTCONbits.GIE=1;
EECON1bits.WREN = 0;
}

when that runs i end up with all bit values of 0x15 or 0x14 for address range of 0x000-0x006. The write range is correct, but the data written is incorrect. Do i have to run convert each character of Dstring to its hex value before i write?

Thanks for the help in advance.

You've declared a pointer to a "string" type, then initialized the pointer with a value. This isn't going to do what you think it does. It will actually assign a value to the pointer rather than to the memory location given by the pointer.

Try

char dstring[8];
strcpy (dstring, "default");

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back