Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F87x field programmability options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchouli

Hi.

If it were your project, what would you implement for field programming by users of an '877 based circuit? A complete bootloader, just basic downloader code, or a cheap, low parts count on-board programmer circuit like a JDM or Tait? ... other options?

I'm leaning toward bootloader. A few hundred words in an 877? Who cares? But an on-board programmer would be good; no matter what happens to the code you can always flash it. (like the bootloader writes over itself or something weird.)

But again:

<--- clueless

Thanks.

I would recommend adding a bootloader as well as ICSP/ICD capability in your projects. This aids in debugging since you don't have to remove the chip from its socket to reprogram.

You can fit a bootloader within the last 256 locations in the program memory and write protect that area.

I guess I'm not totally clear on how the ICSP works. I have read some things that say parts could be damaged by the higher voltage from the serial port.

I tried it out the other day and couldn't get it to work on an 876a. I connected the various wires as they should but the one thing I wasn't clear about was if I was suppose to attach a resistor from mclr to ground or to vdd. I was using the pg2 programmer and it wasn't working.

Anyone have any good sites on ICSP.

You can start with Microchip's site on the ICD2.

**broken link removed**

You can also google using the keywords "Microchip ICD2".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back