Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F84: Z-flag will not set

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizzy

Hi. I'm working on some code for the PIC 16F84 that requires two numbers to be compared. Afterwards, I check the z-flag in the STATUS register (0x03, bit2) to see if it is set. I've been having some problems and I traced it back to the Z-flag. It will not set after an arithmetic or logic operation for some reason. I can set it with the BSF command, however (which really doesn't help). Here is a snippet of code I wrote to see if the z-flag is working:

zero MOVLW 0xAA
MOVWF CODE3
MOVLW 0xAA
MOVWF NUM3 ;here, I set both variables
;to the same value
MOVF CODE5,W
SUBLW NUM5 ;subtract CODE5 from NUM5
BTFSS STATUS,2 ;check z-flag (should be set)
GOTO no_luck
CALL pin1
GOTO zero
no_luck CALL pin2
goto zero

The "pin1" and "pin2" subroutines activate RA0 or RA1 so that I can see which path was taken.

No matter what I do, the Z-flag will not set. I've tried using different variables, even with different values to see if the bit was inverted. I've also tried moving a single variable into W and subtracting it from itself, and I tried using XORLW instead of SUBLW with the same result. Is there something i'm missing? Why won't the flag set?

the SUBWF command seems to work fine. I tried it in place of SUBLW and my program runs perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back