Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F628A - What is meant by package type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbu

For the PIC16F628A, Microchip lists this chip with different “package type” such as SSOP, QFN, PDIP, and SOIC – what do they mean? Also, what is the lead count? They are listed either with 18, 20, or 28.

Thanks…

Mike

mbu said:
For the PIC16F628A, Microchip lists this chip with different “package type” such as SSOP, QFN, PDIP, and SOIC – what do they mean? Also, what is the lead count? They are listed either with 18, 20, or 28.

Thanks…

Mike

Lead count is the number of leads/pins that come out of the device.

The most common package type used by hobby types is DIP or Dual In-line Package. PDIP is for Plastic DIP. This is what most people expect a chip to look like.

The others are all much smaller surface mount packages. You can find out more about them on wikipedia or google for them.

3vo,

Thanks for the information!

Since the chips come in different packages will this influence the programmer or will all programmers work? Since I'm new at this I'm assuming the programmer will have a socket that the micro controller will fit into...is this correct?

Last edited:
If you are new I suggest you stick with DIPs till you have a need to make things small. The DIPS plug into solderless breadboards and protoboards in general.

Most of the programmers are setup to use DIP and SDIP
Skinny Dual In-Line Package. 24- and 28-pin DIP devices. Lead spacing on these packages is 0.300 inch between rows

A lot of people have gone to ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming). To do this you connect the programmer to the target board with a short cable. Most programmers are setup to handle ICSP. The big advantage is that you save wear and tear on the processor chip by not moving it around.

Let me grab my crystal ball.... You need a programmer. If you do not mind building a kit checkout the Inchworm review. It should be a sticky thread at the top of this group. Not only will it program PICs but it will also works in conjunction with Microchips MPLAB to debug them via breakpoints etc. It stays up to date because it uses firmware provided by Microchip. When a new chip comes along it will be able to program that chip as soon as Microchip release a firmware update.

Thanks 3vo!

By the way, would you mind sending me the schematics for that crystal ball you have? It apparently works very well!!

Last edited:
No problem glad to help.

If you intend to program in assembly check out Nigel tutorials. Also sticky at top.

If you intend to use a C (or other language) compiler check to see which chips are supported by the free versions.

If you need to use a 16F chip CCS has a demo version that works with the 16F877.

Microchip has a student version of their compiler that works for all 18F chips.

There are others. Maybe there is a list somewhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back