Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic12c508

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

Hi there!

Im working on a project for a keypad controlled light dimmer. I done some extensive research on with particular microcontroller to sight, and I came across the **broken link removed** Since I am working on a project that using a keypad to controll a light dimmer how do I go about programming this chip or is it alright programmed since it is specificly for light dimmer. I am a newbie at this any help with coming up a a hex file or ideas will be greatly appreicated.

It's not specifically programmed, no PIC's are, it's also not specifically for a light dimmer, that's just one suggestion of the many things you could use it for.

The 12C508 is as a VERY old OTP device, there are many far more modern devices also in small 8 pin casings - the 12F675 would be a much better choice, and is reprogrammable.

If you are very new to programming, you may find the 12F508 or 12F509 an easier jump to make instead of going to the 12F6XX series.

John

If you are very new to programming, you may find the 12F508 or 12F509 an easier jump to make instead of going to the 12F6XX series.

I would disagree, the 12 bit series is more limited, and missing crucial commands that you have to work around, the 14 bit series has those extra few commands that make life a LOT easier.

I was referring specifically to the light dimmer application note from Microchip for the 12C508 to which the OP provided a link. Conversion of that code to the 12F508/509 would be less fraught with problems than using a chip with analog inputs for someone who was very new at it.

I agree about the capability of the 12F6XX.

John

I agree with the 12f675 - I have a handfull of 12C508's that I programmed with minor late night mistakes - they make good robots for my son :)

Whatever you use make sure its a flashable PIC - just search google with "pic12f675 light dimmer" you will find similar or even the same projects

To get started with the PIC's got to Nigel's site and you will have light's dimming in no time :D

Ok, my goal is to program the pic chip to accept a 4 digit code. Once that 4 digit code is entered, then it would allow that person access to press 1 to illuminate the bulb and 0 to delluminate the bulb. Can anybody help me with accomplishing this task. Also Nigel the 8 pin chip you recommend; can it be written in C?

Ok, my goal is to program the pic chip to accept a 4 digit code. Once that 4 digit code is entered, then it would allow that person access to press 1 to illuminate the bulb and 0 to delluminate the bulb. Can anybody help me with accomplishing this task. Also Nigel the 8 pin chip you recommend; can it be written in C?

No PIC's (or other chips) can be 'written' in C, but C compilers are available that create assembler or machine code from the C source.

Thanks very much! i read threw the thread and found out some interesting stuff can anyway assign me with starting of with the programming?

-thanks

Last edited:
Mr.K

It's a pleasure and good luck once you get down to the more technical stuff I will try to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back