Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC12C508 to generate 20 bit serial data

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanafzaal

My project needs a 20 bit serial data stream a cLK and OE,
I need to generate this bit stream from another 16 bit stream ,cLK
and OE,i.e. these additional 4 bits to be generated using microcontroller
and to be added at known locations in the 20 bit stream. For eg.

if the available 16 bit stream is
b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 b8 b9 b10 b11 b12 b13 b14 b15

then generate c0 c1 c2 c3 and add to above stream to make it look

c0 c1 b0 b2 b3 b4 b5 c3 b6 b7 b8 b9 b10 b11 b12 b13 c3 b14 b15

I haven't use any microcontroller before, I wish to use PIC12C508 for this
purpose,please extend your help ot make this possible.

Should be possible, but I would suggest NOT using the OTP 16C508, use a reprogrammable device instead, such as the 12F508.

The only real problem is how often the input data appears, as long as you've got time to process the data, and output the result, before the next set of input data appears, then it's pretty straight forward.

Should be possible, but I would suggest NOT using the OTP 16C508, use a reprogrammable device instead, such as the 12F508.

The only real problem is how often the input data appears, as long as you've got time to process the data, and output the result, before the next set of input data appears, then it's pretty straight forward.

Hi Nigel,
thanks for suggesting the alternate IC part 12F508.

The bit duration is about 1ms ,i.e. all 16 bits arrive in about 16ms,and the system should be ready to receive another set of 16 bit data.
We can hold the inputting of next 16 bit data for some time,as it is controlled
by a strobe command.

Now how to proceed for this ,what should be my initial approach to solve this?
what should I read to understand this kind of implementation,
please suggest.

In which case I would suggest moving to higher spec device, such as the 12F675, which is still 8 pin, but is a 14 bit device, rather than a 12 bit one. This gives you the advantage of interrupts, which the 12 bit devices don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back