Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC with most PWM outputs/protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhanus

Hello,

which PIC comes with most PWM outputs, I would need 8 PWM outputs or more, I did solve this in software, but practically PIC isn't doing anything other then that, and I need it to do some calculations, which block PIC from few ms to several sec.

Also does any PIC have internal hardware for PPI/RS485 and MPI/Profibus communication/standard?

Thanks

Hello,

which PIC comes with most PWM outputs, I would need 8 PWM outputs or more, I did solve this in software, but practically PIC isn't doing anything other then that, and I need it to do some calculations, which block PIC from few ms to several sec.

Also does any PIC have internal hardware for PPI/RS485 and MPI/Profibus communication/standard?

Thanks

The **broken link removed** has 8 PWM outputs, however if you have solved it in software, why not consider a second PIC to handle the calculations etc.?

Here is a link to the MicroChip search
Motor Control - Application Features - 8-bit Microcontrollers

I believe the standards you listed are electrical specifications, and are NRZ the same as the serial port. I have used a Max485, or similar driver to do RS485 with no problems. Just hook it up instead of a Max 232 driver.

The **broken link removed** has 8 PWM outputs, however if you have solved it in software, why not consider a second PIC to handle the calculations etc.?

Here is a link to the MicroChip search
Motor Control - Application Features - 8-bit Microcontrollers

I believe the standards you listed are electrical specifications, and are NRZ the same as the serial port. I have used a Max485, or similar driver to do RS485 with no problems. Just hook it up instead of a Max 232 driver.

It looks like that PIC18F2431 - 6PWM and PIC18F4431 - 8PWM would cover my needs. Another PIC to calculate would be to wasteful, I prefer to use only one PIC.

Thanks

It looks like that PIC18F2431 - 6PWM and PIC18F4431 - 8PWM would cover my needs. Another PIC to calculate would be to wasteful, I prefer to use only one PIC.

Thanks

Shoot, I missed the 18F2431! Sorry, but I see you got it. :)

Depends on what it is for, really. If it is a production run, a second PIC would be a waste, however for a one off... a 16F683 can be had for <$2 :D

Shoot, I missed the 18F2431! Sorry, but I see you got it. :)

Depends on what it is for, really. If it is a production run, a second PIC would be a waste, however for a one off... a 16F683 can be had for <$2 :D

;) no problem, thx, it's not for production, maybe one day when I'll stamp money as Gates :D, but for my current student status, it's one PIC to much.

What PWM frequency are you running? It's not for 8 servo motors is it?
It was meant to run BLDC motors and small DC motors, why not servo, what's the problem there?
Also if I remember right I couldn't drive servo with hardware PWM, because I couldn't get so 'low' frequency, is there a workaround this, expect software PWM of course?

Last edited:
;)
It was meant to run BLDC motors and small DC motors, why not servo, what's the problem there?
Also if I remember right I couldn't drive servo with hardware PWM, because I couldn't get so 'low' frequency, is there a workaround this, expect software PWM of course?

I really need answer to red, because this could be universal controller and I wouldn't want to be surprised when finished! :eek:

If it was to drive 8 servos then there are methods to do that using interrupts and 1 pwm module. The interrupts don't take up much time (less than 1%) and so your pic is free to do other stuff.

Mike.

If it was to drive 8 servos then there are methods to do that using interrupts and 1 pwm module. The interrupts don't take up much time (less than 1%) and so your pic is free to do other stuff.

Mike.

Can you explain or show an example, because I made 8PWMs trough software but without interrupts.

Have a read of this thread. It has code for polled and interrupt driven servo output that is quite simple to extend to drive 8 servos.

Mike.

If you read the complete thread then you will see that Futz converted the code to asm.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back