Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC with Bluetooth adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I need to use PIC with wireless comm.
I saw the "wireless modems" at Sparkfun, they're impressive but pricey.

I can get USB Bluetooth adapters for next to nothing, with "up to" 100m range. This sounds dandy and meets my bandwidth requirements.

However, using a PIC as a USB master may be too problematic. Well, I know it can, but only a few PICs can be USB masters and I need a wider choice of chips. And the USB layer doesn't help me at all, I just need to send some data here. The FTI USB-to-rs232 chips are actually USB slaves with an rs232 interface- so the UART interface can't actually make it act as a USB master to control a BT-USB adapter. Plus, an extra "specialty" chip is generally too more awkward than I would want this to be.

Are any of these USB adapters known to be "hackable" where I can cut it open and wire directly into a logic-level, nondifferential UART on the hardware? This would be extremely useful.

Again, I'm looking at cheap, to keep them useful for many small projects. $20 modules are pretty high "up there" for that. I can get USB-BT adapters for like $3.

Of course if it won't work it won't work. Do you have links describing what part the PC takes in handling the protocol? It's not uncommon to find a UART interface on a USB device though. Most GPS sold as USB devices have a TTL UART pin on board which is much easier to interface with a microcontroller, for example. I guess I'll get one of these USB-BT adapters, crack it open, ID the chip, and look up its spec first.

Basically I'm looking for someone familiar with this specific hacking-a-USB-BT-adapter problem.

Last edited:
Some of thoese FTI USB - RS232 chips act as USB host controllers, yet I think you will have to implement a huge code to get a USB dongle working.

Check these links
https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/serial-port-bluetooth-module-master-p-279.html
https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/serial-port-bluetooth-module-slave-p-501.html

They are bluetooth-serial modules I found. They are fairly cheap comparing to ones at Saprkfun. I'm going to order one of them(Master or Slave) to make my PIC communicate with a mobile phone. But I haven't tested anything yet. Hope this helps..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back