Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Users!! What programmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new programmer.

I bought this one PIC Programmer a while ago and it is still a good programmer, but there are some updated chips that it doesnt support.

Like the 16F88, 16F886 and 16F887, and it only supports 2 18F devices.

What are people using?
What can you recomend.

I checked out microchips website and like their universal programmer, but not for 1000AUD bucks.

I use a Dwengo programmer! Its a PICkit2 clone so you can use it as a programmer and as debugger strait from MPLAB, and its only 20 euro.

**broken link removed**

Slorn

Last edited:
PICKit 2, But I'm only starting out.

here a link Jakeselectronics

**broken link removed**

and supported PICS

**broken link removed**

Alright,
So there's alot of people happy with PICKit 2.
I think Im going to get it.

but whats the difference between PICKit 2 and PICKit 3?
is 3 just a later version?
or is it a different thing?

on the PICkit 2 page (**broken link removed**) there is a link to PICkit 3,
But no where on the PICkit 3 page (**broken link removed**) does it say it is a newer version of PICkit 2.

Which one do I get?

I have several Junebugs, an original PICkit2, several ICD2 clones, and a JDM programmer. The Junebug is my favorite.

We have looked into it, here at ETO, at least twice and so far there is no reason to buy a PICkit3 instead of the PICkit2. The PICkit2 is about 1/2 the price too.

I use Bill's when I teach PIC programming and it works very well. In some ways it is more versatile then then original PICkit2 it is based on. Currently my students have a TalkBotBrain from Roman Black and and a PIR sensor connected to Junebugs. It is a blast.

3v0

Hi,

Simply put, the Pickit3 is an updated version of the Pickit2 designed mainly to handle the new top end chips.
For the average diy guy the Pickit2 wil serve you well for many years, but if you want to do top end stuff in the future then consider a Pickit3 or ICD3.

As well as the ready made Pickit2 and its clones that are available you can also build a cut down diy Pickit2 Lite - just search these pages for details.

Arriving late for the conversation, but show me in with the PICkit2 crowd.

The Junebug is a simplified PICkit2, the programmable VDD source and the EEPROMs have been removed and a 18F1320 tutor with 6 charlieplexed LEDs, 3 pushbuttons (+1 reset button), a 38kHz TSOP IR demodulator, 2 variable resistors plus various connectors for your own devices and an 2x5 ICD/ICP connector for programming your own projects has been added. It was built to introduce people to their first PIC as many folks who bought the older Inchworm kit didn't know what to do next. So I designed a small portable PIC lab around the excellent PICkit2 programmer/debugger & logic tool plus the advanced 18pin PIC18F1320.

I've been doing contract work for the past year and can't wait to get back to putting new JPUG issues together and get one or two more kits out there. (The long awaited Ladybug 18F67J60 Ethernet kit is on the front burners)

Last edited:
another nice feature of JUNEBUG

is it has a port so the user can connect their own sub circuit and use the 1320 chip on the JUNEBUG to control the sub circuit nd use the switches, leds etc on the junebug to sequence your sub circuit.
I built some adapter cables so I can plug into the sub circuit port (don't know what elas to call it?) as well as the programming port which one uses to program an off board PIC (like a robot with an on board PIC).
saves having to remove the PIC each time. I believe it's called in circuit programming.
For the price you can't go wrong

hey Bill, I accept paypal for endorsements ---LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back