Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC to PIC communication (suggestions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
psssssst. Nigel..He doesn't want to use serial data
Russ! Your emoticons are showing:eek:

But excessively complicated, not needed, and generally slower than a simple RS232 type solution.

Bear in mind of course, the thread application only requires EXTREMELY slow communication anyway.

You may be right for this application, especially given uart support and/or library support. But a synchronous protocol can be very nice and simple, the clock line eliminates all sorts of timing considerations. For a really simple example ( not I know the full spi or ic2 protocol ) think about clocking out to a shift register.

And yes I have lots of emoticons ( even if I am not sure that I can spell it )

:confused::confused::confused::D

That can be pretty darn quick too. And I have done the I2C thing before. Yeah you have START and READ / WRITE things to fiddle with by the levels and edges, but it can be made to HAUL THE EMAIL so to speak. Nothing "slow" about it unless you have a clock restricted source. Outguns most of the RS232 I've tinkered with but it can haul the mail too at the circuit board level.

The controllers I play with have bits to set up the uarts as SPI and I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back