Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC :: Resistor Varied Output - Why Ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflux

Sorry for the confusing title.

I'm creating a simple Tri-State situation like "ronsimpson" suggested using a resistor ladder to give an LED multiple brightness characteristics.

I'm curious to know if the ground (circled in yellow) is necessary and why is it necessary - what is it's function?

Thanks!

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
It makes the ladder act as a voltage divider.

When RB6 is high, you get 5 * (1000/1680) = 2.97 volts. When RB7 is high, you get (1000/1010) * 5 volts = 4.95 volts. Without the 1k resistor to ground, you'd always see 5 volts, though the current going into the LED would be different. Thus that resistor isn't strictly needed in this particular application, since you're going to get a voltage drop across the load anyway.

Last edited:
Well said. I figured since the LED is simply a diode going to ground that it would complete the voltage dividing circuit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back