Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programming using com port and bread board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velvet Leopard

Hewwo. I was wondering if you could program PICs using just your com and a breadboard. I have those. Any info on this would be most appreciated.

Velvet Leopard said:
Hewwo. I was wondering if you could program PICs using just your com and a breadboard. I have those. Any info on this would be most appreciated.

There's loads of PIC programmer designs about, the simplest probably been the JDM 'serial port' versions - which are fine if your PC has an over spec serial port (many have).

Personally I would recommend a parallel port programmer, most of which are based on the enhanced version of the original David Tait design, in particular I recommend the P16PRO40.

Where and how much? List of my PICs.

Hewwo. Thanks much, Nigel. The leopard purrrrs most appreciatively. You seem to be an ever vigilant gaurdian angel here on this forum. Where can I get the P16PRO40 and a PIC16F628 PIC and how much would they run me? Just for fun, I would like to know how to make a simple PIC programmer from scratch, utilizing com ports and a bread board or similar parts if possible. Oh yeah, Can you tell me what "External Memory Addressing-up to 2 Mbytes" means in terms of PICMicros? I got a PIC18LF8720-I/PT which the data sheet states it has up to 2 Mbytes of External Memory Addressing. What does this mean? And last, these are the PICs that I have purchased, because they were cheap, never used, and came with the data sheets:

1 PIC18LF8720-I/PT
1 PIC16LF84A-04I/P
1 PIC16F870-I/P
1 PIC16F871-I/P
1 PIC16F872-I/P

I would like to use and learn about these and the PIC16F628.

You can get the scematics and programming software for P16Pro40 at nigels site www.winpicprog.co.uk

Other software and programmer designs are available at IC-Prog's site

JDM is amongst them, but like said above it relies heavily on your com-port specs and might not work if your com can't supply enough voltage.

Adressing 2Mbytes external memory just means that this particlar pic has an external adress and databus wich allow you to connect 2MBytes of memory chips externally to the pic. This way you can create MUCH bigger programs but, of course, you lose the I/O pins wich are then used as adress and data pins for the external memory. You also become responsible for the data upload process for that external memory.

Well you don't mention your location, so I can't advise anywhere local as I don't know where you are - but any electronics outlet who sells PIC's should stock the 16F628. If you are in the USA I believe Digikey stocks them.

Datasheets for PIC's are no problem, you can download them all from MicroChip at https://www.microchip.com, where you can also order free samples 8)

Here is a schematic I found many years ago of the JDM programmer. You could probably assemble this on a breadboard fairly quickly. It should work fine with a 16F628 but will be dependent on you having a compatible com port.

Mike.

Attachments

• jdmprog.gif
    jdmprog.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,412
Last edited:
Can you tell me what "External Memory Addressing-up to 2 Mbytes" means in terms of PICMicros?
Means it can use an external memory chip , i would assume using parallel addressing , that has up to two MBytes of memory..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back